• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yamaha CRW-F1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RadRacer

Does anyone have the CRW-F1? How well does the DiscT@2 work? I read a review of it on Tom's Hardware and it looked pretty cool, but I'd like some other input.

Thanks.

it burns words and such on the bottom of the disc if I remember right. but not on top.

thats the most I remember, but I too would like to know more.

I have the F1 and as a burner, it works awesome... Its very very fast and i have yet to have an error in any of my burned CDs (and I always burn at max speed)

As for the disc tattoo thingie, its gimmicky at best (despite the heavy advertisement of this feature)... It works great on CD-R that have the blueish tone on the bottom, but with everything else it just doesnt work all that well. I burned a music CD on the sample "DISC T@2 APPROVED" CD-R that came with the drive and put the song track numbers and titles on it - and that worked great, but the regular memorex CD-Rs that I used, well it just doesn't work all that well (images show up very very faint)...

But by far, the key attraction of this drive is its speed and reliability.

The F1 is a truely incredible burner! The premier CDR/W burner! I've successfully burned a protected copy that came from a copy that was from a copy!
(Only coaster I've had from this burner was my 1st attempt copying this copy from a copy from a copy.)

My brother just got a LiteOn 52x-24x-52x burner and even he has not been able to successfully burn some copy protections that I have. Gee, I was the one who told him to get the LiteOn, that it should burn everything he wanted to burn.

The Disk T@2 is, as said, more gimmicky than anything. Gee it is a whole new technology for the public. I would look at it as being more of a novelty than something serious. At least in this early stage.

BTW mfjonny; Can you even wrap text with Disk T@2? The manual is almost non-existent in telling anything about it, but I was led to believe it would wrap text.

Lastly if anyone is wanting one of these burners you better hurry. Yamaha is getting out of the CDR/W burner business. Will stay and concentrate with DVD burning from what I understand though.

Cheers,
Mike

wait, so does it only burn the image to the bottom? I've got stacks of these cheap CD-Rs that dont have any labeling on the top of them. Basically what I'm wondering is if I can tattoo the cds so I can put a track list on them or whatnot. But if I have to take the cd out flip it over, and then try and read it, its not worth the trouble. Is this the case?

RadRacer said:
wait, so does it only burn the image to the bottom? I've got stacks of these cheap CD-Rs that dont have any labeling on the top of them. Basically what I'm wondering is if I can tattoo the cds so I can put a track list on them or whatnot. But if I have to take the cd out flip it over, and then try and read it, its not worth the trouble. Is this the case?

Nothing is changed in the way you position your cd. (Same way)

There is no reflective dye on top of any CDR to write on top of it.

Disk T@2 (pronounced Disk Tat-too) only works on the remaining bottom of the CD where no data was written. The burner knows where this is and will show you when you start working with the program.

If you're only wanrting the burner for the Disk T@2 feature and not because its' the best CD burner out there PERIOD, then you mite ought to look for another brand burner. Because you are only going to be disappointed.

Cheers,
Mike
PS I've ran LiteOn, Plextor and Mitsumi burners also, and the Yamaha has impressed more than anything I have ever had! NOT because of its' Disk@2 feature.

I've got a 12x burner right now, and I was thinking that if the Disc T@2 feature was cool enough, I'd consider an upgrade. At the moment, from what you all have said, it isn't for me.

I'll hold off til the DVD burning format issue is settled and they come down in price.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, i had to find instructions for the discT@2 on the canadian yamah website (but I was led there by a yamaha tech so that was kinda cool)... just remember that you have to use a yamaha version of nero (which is just your standard nero with the disct@2 plugin).. and yes you can wrap text, but its not a very precise process. it works well enough...

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20020927/yamaha-02.html

thats a review from THG...

lastly, i bought this burner for around $50 after rebate from fry's...

I have the drive and it rocks, noticably slower than my 52x tdk burner, but dead accurate. Never made a coaster yet! The disk@2 is awsome, I use it all the time when backing up games by etching the passwords on the outer edge. I have burned pics on the disk ect at I always get a "wow sweet!" when people check it out. I use fuji 48x cert disks and they are dark green and you can see everything perfect. Also video disks our customers by from us that contain drag races have our website etched on the outside of the disk with checkered flags ect... we always get emails asking how we did it and can they do it at home. I like this drive better than any I have owned so far :) also I bought it in black so it looks gooood :D

Back