• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Power Maxx from PCToys the same as Vantec?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

linlibj

Recenly I ordered a Vantec Stealth 470W PSU from CoolerGuys. What I got is not Vantec but a Power Maxx from PCtoys, they look exactly the same. It makes quite a lot of noise instead of being 'stealth'.
Does anybody know if Vantec and PowerMaxx are the same products? Or PowerMaxx is a cheaper clone version of Vantec?
I felt being a little bit ripped off. :(

I think anything from PC toys is over priced junk.
And No you shouldnt of got a power maxx power supply.
Power maxx is junk and if you don't beleive me look Here

I got a response from coolerguy, they claim both psu are exactly the same, they did nothing wrong. If I want to return it they will charge me 15% restocking fee and I have to pay the shipping by myself. This is really sucks! I will never buy anything from coolerguys! You cannot switch brands of product and claim they are the same thing. This kind of business practice is not acceptable!

It is Illegal for one thing
It is false advertisment for another.
Let me tell you how this work's
Sometime companies will put a product out for sale at a given price and when they get oh lets say a 1,000 orders they will then call the manufactuer up and say I would like a 1,000 of such and such could you give me a deal.
Thiswill explain why the hsadey companies take so long to ship or you order something from ohio and it comes from calf get what i am saying.
And there is no way thos two power supplies are the same look for the fcc# they ae different.
I would call the atternoy general's office NOW.
And here are a few other place's to help you out.
And I would call vantec for sure I think the would be glad to hear that there product is being compared to something substandard

LOOKhere or here

orhere

orhere this is a good one

DOnt take that **** it is unacceptable

Isn't that like buying a Ford and getting a Mercury?

How about telling Cooler Guys to send something in writing, by U.S. Post Office mail, saying that the two PSUs are identical and also carry the same warranty? And have them toss in schematics of each PSU as well for proof.

It may well be the same supply, Vantec makes nothing themselves (like Antec). I wouldn't have any of their BS though, it is not the buyer's responsibility to correctly identify and advertise a seller's product for them. They need to advertise what they sell, sell what they advertise, or get out of business. Threaten legal action and tell them to send a call tag for the supply and refund your money in full, or be prepared to defend themselves in court. Their insistance that it is the same supply is exactly worthless, if they are such power supply experts than they should know one supply from the next, and advertise the one they are selling. It may only be a name, but it is the name they chose to identify their product and must be responsible for any misrepresentation.

Thanks for everybody's support. I called Vantec and verified that the two psu are made the same under different lables. The psu I got (PCToys Power Maxx) is working fine except for the noise level. I read some reviews on Vantec Stealth, it suffers the same problem. But still I will take some actions against coolerguys dishonest business conduct.

I ran into a similar problem with Coolerguys. I ordered 3 Vantec Tornado Fans (buy 2 get 1 free). The website had a Picture of the Vantec fan and Box it comes in. I got 3 PC Toys Tornado Fans, each in a plastic Bag. It also took 2 weeks and two emails to get them to me. I will never order from them again.

they share the same product line

PCtoys even sells some same as as zalman's line

i have talked to vantec about it
they said they are sort of partners and there is nothing illegal with that

but as for coolerguys, they are at the stage of transition of changing vantec to PCtoys
same thing though
just because name doesnt sound as good, doesnt mean quality is bad

I would contact Antec for what they are doing. Vantec may be mad that they are selling a product under the Vantec name that isnt a Vantec.

Back