• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm fan with rpm monitoring.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmfdm515

I need some help guys.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a 3 wire 120mm fan that supports rpm monitoring, and will also work with my Vantec Nexus Multi-Function Panel. It would have to be about 3000 rpm, becuse the minimum rpm for the MFP is 1500.

I tried a 3-wire delta, but it turns out it didn't support rpm monitoring.

I tried another fan from a brand I never heard of because it supported rpm monitoring. It seemed to work fine, but as soon as I turned it under 3000 rpm, it dropped to zero. I couldn't figure it out, so I contacted Vantec. They told me the fan was incompatible because it had a temperature sensor built-in and it can auto adjust the fan's rpm. (???)

Anyway, I'd like to use this MFP in my water-cooled setup. If I can't find a compatible 120mm fan, I guess I'll scrap it and use a normal rheostat. :(

Which 3-wire Delta did you use? I know that Sidewinder computers is offering 3-wire 120mm fans with rpm monitoring of them as well, I have the 4-wire version from them and it supports the rpm's just fine. The fans are a bit loud, but in conjunction with a fanbus (i.e; your nexus) it should be just fine. I ran mine at 7 volts with pretty silent operation, and good airflow to boot. :cool:

the enermax 120mm adjustable has an rpm sensor. i have it, its great. granted the second potentiometer is kinda overkill, but you can set the one on the fan to max and let your Vantec control the speed

there is no temperature sensor on the fan, just a pot to control the rpms. heck, you could probably cut it off if it really bothered you.

Back