• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3000+ "barto" @ newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The pricing scheme is crazy! Who the heck does AMD think they are? I mean, is there some multi-billion dollar company that uses thousands of their most expensive chips?

it seems like the only thing that would have made the Barton an option for me (price) is not there, whether the drop in price comes faster and sharper than the 3.06GHz then it may become a viable option for those looking for cool performance at a nice price.

I could buy an entire new 2100+ system for $600 :) And OC it as high as the barton would, considering the stepping probably sucks.

The reviews on the Barton 3000+ say it is = to the Pent 3000 perfoamcne wise (Maximum PC). If it can OC a bit which I think it can, it should be pretty decent. It's almost as if the BArton 3000 is a Tbred-B 2700 with more cache.

I could buy an entire new 2100+ system for $600

Exactly, it's all about supply and demand when it comes to economics.

They have both a supply and a great demand for lower to mid-range Athlon XPs.. which they make a lot of money on.. just look around and see how many people that has purchased the 1700+ and the 2100+ lately.

Now, they price this high so that the ones that really want it buys it for the expensive money, and the other consumers (i.e. the average man) still buys the lower end - mid range. What good would it do for AMD to lower prices? If they set the Barton at a low price they would have to lower prices on all other models also. Resulting in that the CPUs that most consumers buy, i.e. the mid range would have a price drop, they would lose money because that's where most consumers are, and only a little part of those would buy the Barton anyways if they would say, lower it by 100 bucks.

They want us to go get those mid-range CPUs now, and come for the Bartons down the road.. that way we'll buy two CPUs from them instead of only one.

Probaby us hobbyists buy the slower chips and OC them. The majority of their sales are in pre made computers and will have the 2200 or higher CPU. At least that's what they sell in this area.

He is right, then Barton almost seems to be nothing more than a XP2700+ with more cache and maybe a bad stepping.

Although, at Hard(OCP), they recently got a Barton 3000+ and got it up to 2.5Ghz stable. That isn't bad considering that they used a Thermalright SLK-800 on it with a 43 cm.

That is what I have been wondering, if AMD is supposed to be cheaper than Intel, then why does their "new" proc cost the same amount as Intel flagship model right now ? Which would you rather pay AMD $600+ or Intel $600+ ? That seems like really hard decision.

Besides, most of us will (if you buy a Barton) buy a Barton 2500+ or 2800+ and o\c it to get 3000+ speeds. This way we don't have to pay so much to get the same performance

bafbrian said:
That is what I have been wondering, if AMD is supposed to be cheaper than Intel, then why does their "new" proc cost the same amount as Intel flagship model right now ? Which would you rather pay AMD $600+ or Intel $600+ ? That seems like really hard decision.

AMD isn't supposed to be cheaper. It's just that it's the only way they will or would sell (cuz this pricing dates from some time already, back to the thunderbird era). To stay competitive, they had to lower the price of hte lower processors. Otherwise, the Athlon line of CPUs was (at launch) almost priced as high as a P3, if I remember correctly. With this new pricing scheme, they want to remove this image that AMD=teh cheep. They want to become Intel, as Ed said. That'S what they are trying to do with the new AthlonXPs and the Athlon64s : they will keep prices on par with Intel, to remove from people's minds that AMD is or must be cheaper than Intel.

... or so I heard

Dude it was just released guys. the price will go down to half that within a month.

BTW bowman at xtremesystems got his 2800+ to 2.8ghz on his chiller device thing or whatever it is (it's pretty sweet)

edit: wait or is it a prometeia? i dunno

seriously guys. Well said Terro.
It is STILL cheaper then the 3.06 intel when it was released. You cant compare amds released price to an intel chip after its been out for weeks....
Besides I'm kinda glad to see them put out a more expensive chip, hopefully they'll make a little more money and get outa trouble, and I"m sure the price will fall off quickly enough

Codeman05 said:
seriously guys. Well said Terro.
It is STILL cheaper then the 3.06 intel when it was released. You cant compare amds released price to an intel chip after its been out for weeks....
Besides I'm kinda glad to see them put out a more expensive chip, hopefully they'll make a little more money and get outa trouble, and I"m sure the price will fall off quickly enough

Is AMD in a money bind?

Your right, everyone should just chill out and wait for prices to drop. And if you watch the clock, time actually goes slower :D

Whats all the fuss if you dont like the price you dont buy the product - all a question of perceived value which differs from person to person. AMD have obviously changed their strategy from one of cost leader to one of differentiation in this particular segment (high end). Whether the strategy is succesful is another matter.

if someone seriously asked me about the XP 3000 and was serious about buying it, I'd just tell them to get a prometeia.

AMD in a money bind? As far as I know, AMD has yet to make a profit even though their market share has fluctuated between 10-25% of the CPU market the past 5 years. Intel has kept their prices such that AMD cant get a larger foothold.

There is probaby some stock broker out there who can give us the exact details on AMDs corporate losses in the last decade. Anybody know?

Back