• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does your PSU work, mine does not.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ct. Strangelove

I posted this in extreme cooling but here is the quicky

MY POWMAX 400 watt PSU fails when powering a 226tec. It keeps tripping.

Someone posted about thier POWMAX powering thier 226TEC.

IS ANY on usig a POWMAX400watt to power a 226watt tec?
Is anyone using a GENERIC PSU to power thier 226?

I think i got a bad one.

I have no TEC experience, but it is known that Powmaxx is a bottom of the barrel brand. My advice would be to buy a Fortron/Sparkle supply, or one of the new SL series Antecs. Define how much current your TEC draws, and select the model based on that. I assume it is a 12V device, so compare its draw to the maximum 12V output to make sure you are expecting something to work that might... um, work. The 350W Fortron is only 38 dollars from directron, and the SL Antecs are affordable as well. If the 350W Fortron won't power it, there is no chance in hades of a generic brand anything working out.

If your 400W Powmax is like other Powmaxes, it can probably put out about 350W. I'm not saying that Powmax is underbuilt, but my 300W Powmax and Antec are rated 30A @ +5V, and in the Powmax it's handled by 30A worth of diodes but 60A worth in my Antec.

yeah thanks for the input guys. I bought two really cheap PSUs they were generic and cost $8 EACH!!!!! $30 for 2 and shipping. I rigged them up to give me a good 11.75 volts (in parralell) the tec is rated 15v @ 25Amp

Is it a good idea to connect the +12V outputs of different PSUs together like that? I mean, a PSU can regulate only its own output, not the output of another PSU.

Back