• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU speed or memory BW???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

I dunno wtf is going on, when i get my system to 190x9.5=1805MHz it wont pass prime95 for more than 4 hours.. My temps can hit 43.5ºC on load in my nexus multipanel (64º ondie mobo sensor :eek: ) and beeing 100% stable, but im afraid to kill it if i up the voltage (right now stock).

Funny thing is that if i change multiplier to 174x10.5=1825MHz it can go all through prime95 overnight without a hitch, same temps above...

Is there any benchmark that will let me know whats better accurately?? we all know 3dmark is a fsb hoe...

My first thoughts are that raw cpu speed might be better because in the lower fsb i get 87%bw efficiency, while on the higher fsb it only hits 81%.... not to mention my memory bw scores SUX!!! with fastest timings on 190MHz fsb i can barely hit 2500 :rolleyes: , any ideas???

im starting to think my mobo sux, when i try 200x8.5 it locks up while loading windows... :mad:

Maybe try relaxing your memory timings and upping your vdimm to 2.9. That might help you out some.

As for your memory bandwidth thing...that's what you get with the VIA KT333 chipset. These VIA chipsets suck! Running a 333 FSB on the KT400 chipset yeilds about 100 MB/s more bandwidth than 266 FSB...in other words it's pointless! :mad: I'm getting an NForce2 board!

something in your system doesn't like that high FSB...could be mem, hdd, cd-*, sound, vid...you get the picture ;)

Why would you be surpised that something is failing at a 190MHz FSB when you've only got a 1/5 PCI multiplier on that board? Like takiwa said, it could be a number of things that are failing.

also remember it's only a palmino and those aren't as good as the t-bred and expectiong that high of an o/c on palmino is a lot but gj and i would have to say that your mobo sucks..

Maybe its that bad Mexican electricity? Seriously, doesnt the voltage vary often in the Mexican electrical grid? I knew a Doc down there who was complaining about the quality of his X rays due to unstable line voltage.

lol, no, electricity is just fine... well it sounds i have to bare it, i just wanted to get 1850MHz stable, but wtf, 1827 aint that bad anyway hehehe.

Im surprised i cant hit 200MHz fsb since ive known other dudes with the same mobo that even surprass 200MHz, but ohh well, i cant get rid of any of my hardware. Thnx a lot ppl.

I think ill stay with more cpu speed and less FSB, it felt slightly faster in unreal2 and wa ll know amd are number crunchers, not memory bw hogs...

Back