• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7N8X, my video card :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superjerman

Registered
I justt installed my new motherboard and video card... The motherboard is a Asus A7N8X Delux. The video card is a "ATI OEM RADEON 9500 128MB DDR BULK made by Saphire Technologies" and here is a pic of it, if it needed http://images2.newegg.com/productim...-102-252-11.JPG

My problem is that the card will NOT WORK! When I boot the computer with the new video card all it does is put a bunch is little colored squares all over the screen.. And I know its some kind of setting becasue I tried the card in my friends computer and it works just fine...

Is there anything you guys can think of that I could change to get this thing working? Right now I have my old GeForece 2 MX 64meg card in there..

I have now also updated the bios..

And if you need anymore info let me know..

Thought I might throw it out here to see if it catches someones eye!

- I have upgraed the Mobo bios
- I tried turning off AGP Fast Writes
- Someone told me I need bigger then a 420WAtt power supply

I really want to play on my new computer :(

if your spower supply is not defective then no you do not need more than 420 watts, so if your on the comp now with a different vid card you can all but rule that out. are you trying all this at stock settings? do you have agp 8x enabled? once apon a time there was a problem with 8x and the 9700 on some boards maby the 9500 has it too. and nvidia based boards do work with ati based gfx cards so dont worry about that.maby your agp slot is a little harder to seat? did you try to reseat it? maby the power connector on your ps to your card isnt working? just a few ideas good luck

Hurk said:
Fresh install with the video card. ATI likes it like that.

Do I just uninstall the old card from the Device manager, and shut down put the new card in?

Cuz if it is I tried that! :(

When does the video corruption start? Does it start during post, or after windows loads? If it goes through post ok then it's probably nothing wrong with the hardware or your bios settings.

Try this. Set a system restore point (assuming you're using Win XP). Uninstall the MX card: Remove it from the device manager, goto add/remove programs and uninstall the driver software. Don't reboot when prompted. Instead run Nvidia File remover. It can be downloaded from www.guru3d.com
Be careful, since you have an Nvidia chipset, the file remover will detect some of the MB drivers, just make sure you delete DISPLAY drivers only.

Instead of rebooting shutdown your computer. Install the new video card and when prompted install the new drivers.

If that doesn't work, uninstall everything Nvidia (don't reboot at any point). Chipset drivers, video drivers, EVERYTHING. Run NFR. Delete everything that comes up. Seach your registry for nv*.*, delete everything found. Search your C: drive for nv*.*, delete everything that's found. Reboot with ATI card installed, install it as standard display device and reinstall chipset drivers. Reboot, install ATI drivers.

I know it seems like a lot, but it should only take 15 minutes or so. Basically you just have to make sure that any remenants of the Nvidia card are completely gone from your computer. If at any point the system becomes unrecoverable use the restore point to go back to where you are now and start again.

maybe the card is too new or theres a hardware bug. I heard you cant use voodoo cards on early p4 mobos. I had a 90MHz pentium mobo that would keep rebooting when I put the tnt pci. also my asus a7v-266e mobo wont post with an XP1600 cpu. Try a geforce3 ti500 or 8500le

I seriously doubt a part as high quality as the A7N8X would have compatibility problems like that... it's also not old enough to complain about newer parts. The 9500 and A7N8X are about the same age!

As said earlier, if it makes it through post, it's not a hardware problem. I would say stick it in another computer and see if it works. If not, it's a defective part.

Edit: Whoops, missed the part about you testing it in your original post.

Last edited:
sounds like it has artifacts in windows, if so then just do a clean install of windows, it's picky ;)

superjerman said:
I got it working! I had to disable 8X support!! Will this casue my Video card to be slower?

good to know it works... and no agp8x wont make your video card slower, agp8x is overkill even with r9700PRO... try to get the lastes bios of bothe your video card and mobo, then retry using agp8x

yes, youll lose some good performance, less agp bandwith. agp texturing will take twice as long, but only if the texture size exceeds the video ram

Overclocker550 said:
yes, youll lose some good performance, less agp bandwith. agp texturing will take twice as long, but only if the texture size exceeds the video ram

yeah, be sure to ignore that bs post also... ive read tons of posts stating theres no difference between agp8x and agp4x in performance for today cards...

Jesus, keep people from listening to OC550.

No, you will not lose any performance by sticking to AGP 4x. In fact you'll probably gain a good deal of stability... and as you've noted it now works, which is definitely a plus :)

Overclocker550 said:
agp 4x is more stable but slower. new games like bandwith
the gain is very miniscule and is within the margin for error while testing.

i would need clear evidence of better performance before buying something just because of a new hardware revision.

the board i'm buying for my new system has 8x but thats not why i'm buying it. i could care less if it had 4x or 8x. its all the same.

please stop posting about things you haven't researched. you assume since 8 is higher than 4 that 8 should be better. this is about as far as you have researched.

well im just a noob but i thouhgt id take a shot at oc'550...lol..just one question...how the heck did you get that memory chip to work on that board?!!!!asus's website on that board says the max is pc2100. weird???

Back