• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed XP 2400 can't boot to windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dolemitecomputer

I currently have a Asus A7V333 board and I was using a XP 1800 (AGOGA @ 1.65 GHZ) chip with it for some time. I just installed a 2400 chip after flashing the BIOS (1016) a week ago to support it and now it will not boot to windows xp or 2000. Boots to redhat 8.0 and windows 98 just fine. With windows xp it gets to the boot screen with the animated bar and just keeps going over and over then gives me a stop error. Windows 2000 does the same thing. RedHat boots fine with no errors at all. I checked my voltage and multiplier settings and those are normal (15 X 133 and 1.65 volts). I checked the thermal probe and it reads at under 40C. I decided to try to repair windows so I boot with the 2000 cd. Now when it gets to "setup is starting windows 2000" it just hangs. Never gets past that screen. So even if I want to reinstall windows xp or 2000 I can't! I also bought a western digital 1200JB drive and tried to install windosw 2000 there as well and it still hangs on the "setup is starting windows 2000" screen. Any help?

Another thing:

I am using the most current BIOS for that board: 1016 which supports 2400 chips and higher. The BIOS sees the chip correctly and the multiplier is unlocked . Like I said I can boot to redhat perfectly fine. No kernel panic errors or anything else. Also I was able to install and boot to windows 98 fine also. No errors at all. The thing that bothers me is that I can't install either 2000 or XP with that chip in. It gets to "starting windows" and just hangs. I installed the 1800 chip and it boots fine to XP or 2000.

You mentioned in the first post that you are getting STOP error. What are the details of the STOP error? Please list the numeric and text data from it.

For example:
0x0000007b [INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE]

Back