• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking fan placement guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zippobuyer1

Registered
i have bought a generice full tower case and i'd like to know how to place the 6 80mm fans i have and where to drill the 80mm holes.

i thought about 2 exhaust in the back (near the cpu)
2 intakes in the bottom front
and one upper blowhol to take out any remains of hot air.
the cpu and motherboard should be extra-cool.

got any other ideas?

What you said sounds like it would make good airflow so far. The basic rule of thumb when deciding how to cool your case is make sure the airflow compliments eachother. Try to envision how the airflow will behave inside your case, and make sure the fans arent interfering with eachother so they aren't less efficient than they could be.

Sound pretty "Cool " to me
May I suggest a "SLOT" cooler in PCI slot #1 that draws air across then out from around your Video card. They are usually under $9 bucks and keep most of vid cards heat from even going in to your case

Ya only got 6 80mm fans that should be easy.

Ok front of the case,

intake in the front of the case, for your first, then
front Motherboard side of the case for , intake hole that makes 2
Bottom near the front of the case, under the case where the hard drives go. Yes sucking air from the floor area up into the case, that would be 3

Exhast

2 in the rear of the case and one on upper left corner on the side of the case. For a total of 6.

If you want to have some fun, also another 80mm blowing onto your CPU fan, strap one more below that cpu fan so that is is pulling air off of your northbridge while the same time helping to remove heat that your CPU fan is pushing into the CPU cooler. Oh and a spare hard drive spot will fit an extra fan blowing air over your ram.

Ok this is way overboard. But you get the pic.

IN short order, just make sure to be carefull that the fans all push air starting from the front lower section of hte case to the rear upper section of the case. In a sort of "Z" formation. I just added a 12th fan to my system. (a total of 7 80mm fans) not includibng the 2 in the PSU. The one thing you do need to worry about it power for all those bad-boys. All of my fans are 30+ CFM each. Drawing .13-.15amps each.

what do you think of this

i thought:

2 intakes in front bottom
1 intake in front side of the floor
1 120mm intaking directly on CPU (87CFM 36DB GENERIC)
1. exhaust near CPU
1. exhaust 5 CM above PSU

should i buy another 80mm and put it as a blowhole or will the one near the PSU will do the job?
by the way - i won't put anything else on the left door besides the 120mm. that will be too ugly

Back