• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ICS problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mace

I got a network of 2 PC. One with win98 and one with winxp. They are networked with a crossover cable. The winxp machine is the one that is directly connected to the Internet. When I specify IP address for both PCs the network works like a charm, but not Internet on the win98 box. I went through the wonderful wizard that doesn't work to set up Internet connection sharing. When I set up the IP to obtain automatically the Internet works like a charm, but no network. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't know if I have enough info here for anybody to help me or not. I also have all firewalls off for now until I get everything working.

Check the subnet masks on both computers. They SHOULD both be the same, but the XP network wizard can really mess things up with the masking and you may find one pc uses 255.255.0.0 and the other uses 255.255.255.0 > This is the problem that I have encountered repeatedly with that wizard, maybe it's the same for you.

Nope. They are both set to 255.255.255.0. I guess I could run a proxy server on my XP box, but I would prefer to use ICS if at all possilbe.

I would say perhaps a good start would be to set it up with your static Ips assigned(specified) then go to the XP box and type run\cmd and type
ipconfig /all
and see what DNS addy you are on , and then go over to the 98 box and put the DNS on static as well using the DNS that was reported for the XP box. I would take a guess and say that your problem is related to the 98 box and the DNS not being passed from the XP box. So going static would fix it same as it fixes it for the networking when you go static.

Hope this helps.

I think I did all of that right and it still didn't work. I was a little confused because there were three DNS addys listed on my XP box. I tried all of them and it didn't work.

Back