• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Current project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Here's what I'm working on.
ittybitty.jpg

It measures (if I don't add a handle) 11.5" x 8" x 3.75" and weighs a meager 6 pounds. The Flex ATX motherboard has everything on it including an infrared thingymabob. But the specs aren't going to be spectacular since this is a portable media/image editing/music station.

- Celeron 533
- 192mb RAM
- 6GB Laptop Hard Drive
- 24x Laptop CD-ROM
- onboard graphics with TV-out
- onboard LAN
- Wireless IR Keyboard\mouse thingy
- Rounded Cables
- Custom-cut Black ABS Plastic shell
- 95w Power supply

I'm still sourcing the plastic and the power button, but I have everything else. It will either have a red or a white cold cathode inside and the windows are for the I/R receiver and to showcase the CD as it's spinning in the drive.
Total cost of this machine = $65 (almost all of the parts are spares).

That is really cool Slug. You always make pimpin cool rigs! 6pounds, that is really quite amazin for a full system! Are you going to have anything cool on the case? Like the mad bomber one you have? That would be really cool!

As usual another cool case looks to be on it's way. I hope the external knob/screw things are solid - if it's portable, youd hate for them to be snapped off (steel I presume?). I finished my mini cube(asked you about a mobo ages ago), I'll post some pics when I find my cam - think my mother took it.

1. I do all of my 3D scratch-building in Milkshape
2. I'm letting my brain stew over what cutout I want to do for this case. It will have to be something that includes or incorporates the CD-ROM window into the design. Maybe a bomb or something.
3. The thumbscrews are holding the whole case together and will be stainless steel. They will be tapped into the upper and lower 1/4" sheets of ABS.

I'm probably going to source the plastic from a local shop that also offers custom cuts. That would save me alot of time and will give me perfectly smooth edges all the way around. I'll just have to finish the design by drilling, dremeling and glue various things.

TheFrag said:
didnt you just try to sell a system like this in the classifieds?

That case is a bit larger in every direction and used an external PSU. I have alot of spare parts that I need to throw into one classified listing. But the snow is preventing me from shipping items quickly so I'll have to hold off a few weeks.

Back