• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU from 2 down to 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

This is just a quick post about something I learned today. About 2 months ago I had a crappy single PSU that was running 11v on the 12v rail, so I added a 2nd PSU to run the fans and lights. Then about a month ago I broke down and bought an Antec 400w PSU. I never gave much thought about dumping the 2nd PSU as it was doing fine running the fans and lights. Today I got tired of the hastle of running the extra wires out of my case and looking at the mess. So I unlugged the 2nd PSU and plugged all my fans into an extra plug on the Antec.

Well the Antec while powering my entire system plus all the new fans still runs at over 12v and over 5v even under heavy load. The entire system runs awesome and I guess the Single 400w Antec has more juice than both of the 300W generic PSU's put together.

I guess I just thought it was kinda cool so take it for what you want.

Most good PSUs of sufficient wattage will power the gear in your rig. You really only end up needing two sometimes if you are going to power up a pelt or something external like a pump from your PSU. Of course if you have a couple of crappy PSUs duals can come in handy.

Back