• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hey all,
I just built the machine below last night, and have encountered a problem.
I just got a Gigabyte GA-8INXP P4 Titan 667 Motherboard, which has 4 IDE connectors, 2 of which are RAID. I also have an ATA133 Maxtor hard drive, and simply want to connect it, on its own, to one of the RAID connectors, to utilise the ATA133 capabilities of the Hard Drive, as the other 2 IDE connectors on the Motherboard only support up to ATA100, according to the manual. Can this be done? The Promise RAID manual only talks of installing 2 Hard Drives on the RAID connectors.
I have connected the Hard Drive to one of the RAID connectors - IDE3,
yet when I boot up past the BIOS screen, "Verifying Pool Data" appears, and it just hangs there.
If I try and install Windows XP, the Windows setup tells me that there is no Hard Drive installed, yet the Hard Drive appears on boot as "Maxtor Ultra DMA 6". Do I have to change something in the BIOS, like the "RAID Controller Function", because I changed this from ATA to RAID and back a few times, yet still nothing.
I say all this, because in the manual, the specifications state that the RAID IDE connectors support "RAID, Ultra ATA133/100, EIDE".
Any help much appreciated.;)

Im not sure but I think that under that type setup you would still have to hit F6 during setup and put your RAID drivers into XP to use those channels, I seem to remember that when I did this once with a different board with an onboard highpoint controller I didnt use the controller enabled but did use the drivers. But again I am not really sure of this.

Try a bios update on the gigabyte website. www.giga-byte.com.tw i think.
I'm trying something similar but haven't got it to work. I installed a drive management thing on my HDD and it won't work on the RAID (ata) channel. Make sure the cables are in the right way, stuff like that. Maybe install it on the ata ide1 channel and then move it but that's a bit dodgy. Anyone else?

Thanks for replying guys;)
On another forum, 2 other replys told me to do the exact same thing as the both of you suggested - Install 3rd party drivers during Windows setup, or to use a different IDE connector and then transfer it to the raid connector. But you say the latter is a bit dodgy, why?
Thanks!

voodoomelon said:
Thanks for replying guys;)
On another forum, 2 other replys told me to do the exact same thing as the both of you suggested - Install 3rd party drivers during Windows setup, or to use a different IDE connector and then transfer it to the raid connector. But you say the latter is a bit dodgy, why?
Thanks!
Because it didn't work for me so i can't back up my theory. I tried it but i have some scabby disk management software, Doh! time for a format methinks.
Yeah, try installing it on ide1, install some raid drivers off Gigabyte, the turn it off and plug it into the raid? Seems sound. Good luck.

Get the drivers for your RAID controller on a disk, hit f6 during setup.. install the drivers and it'll find the HD when you install..

That's the way you're supposed to do it, and it worked like a charm for me when I had a RAID board..

Honestly though, I doubt the slight to no performance increase ATA133 will give you is worth all of the trouble. Then again, I'm ridiculously lazy.:D

I'm not too familiar with RAID setups, but I always thought that you had to have 2 hard disks to use it.

Also, you may want to trim that sig up, before you become victim to "Oni, the sig ninja" :D

-CPFitz-

CPFitz14 said:
Honestly though, I doubt the slight to no performance increase ATA133 will give you is worth all of the trouble. Then again, I'm ridiculously lazy.:D

I'm not too familiar with RAID setups, but I always thought that you had to have 2 hard disks to use it.

Also, you may want to trim that sig up, before you become victim to "Oni, the sig ninja" :D

-CPFitz-

Good advice, he's gonna getcha! :eek:. See, my sig is only 1 line!

I've seen motherboards that advertise being able to switch their RAID controller to extra IDE. I don't know if it's something you can do with all controllers. hth

Back