• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400MHz Barton in May

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toscani

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article3.asp?datePublish=2003/02/27&pages=PR&seq=209

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is set to introduce a new 400MHz FSB (front-side bus), Barton-core Athlon XP processor in May to strengthen its product portfolio before it launches the long talked about K8-based Athlon 64 processors in September.

The processor maker informed its motherboard clients and chipset partners of this new offering last week. According to sources, the latest Barton and its predecessor differ only in the FSB standard.

Most first-tier motherboard makers have decided to develop products for the new processors. Chipset designers VIA Technologies and Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) have also said that they will release supporting products in April. VIA’s latest K7-based KT400A chipsets are sampling now and are scheduled to hit the market in March. However, the chipset only supports the 333MHz FSB standard.

Despite the industry support, downstream manufacturers are facing an awkward situation in product marketing and positioning, as AMD introduced a similar product, the Barton-core Athlon XP 3000+, on February 10. Moreover, although AMD said that it would release the new version of Barton processors in May, most board makers believe that the actual shipment time may come after the second quarter, which would then be close to the launch of the K8-core Athlon 64

i honestly dont think we will be seeing any 200mhz barton even then.imo this is just amd's paper toss at intels newer 200fsb chips.

think about it,how many people with amd chips can get a ram/cpu/mobo config just right to hit 200fsb out of the box? and how many of those that actually reach 200fsb had to do a mod somewhere and also raise voltages on the mobo and ram out of spec to get there also?

guys we have a better chance of getten a hammer this year than a 200fsb chip.why? becouse its not in amds hands its in nvidia's and via's hands.and amd has no control over mobos like intel does as it makes its own chipsets.

say what you will but ill bet a $10 donation to skip on 1 taker of the bet,"both sides must agree" on this but im saying no 200fsb chip will be for sale june1 2003.

Ye have no faith! I've seen a fair share of NForce2 motherboards hitting 200 FSB without much trouble. VIA on the other hand...

VIA’s latest K7-based KT400A chipsets are sampling now and are scheduled to hit the market in March. However, the chipset only supports the 333MHz FSB standard.

They seem to be kinda screwed!

not really as via mobos can do 200fsb also some with no problem.
especially i can point out the kt333 as the a7v333 i had would regularly do 207 fsb with pc2100.

but this was a matter of coaxing it to do that.not no reguler joe can get that right out of the box.took me a few months myself to do it.

but without surrounding support amd cant release a chip without supporting products.if the mobos dont do 200fsb everytime right out of the box the blame is sqaurley on amd's head.

Its possible that much like the 1/5 divider for some older boards, via may release some bios update in the future for a 1/6 divider. Obviously you can't expect a stock system to push the drives and cards to harsh limits. Thats for us to do.

Maybe they're just saving it for this?

wouldn't the 400 MHZ FSB leave all KT400;s and NF2's behind, cause of the lack of a official 1/6th divider to actually use the 400 mhz FSB?

Another ploy, that's all it is. Same CPU just reprogrammed to be for example, 11 x 200 instead of say 13 x 166. Just as the 333 and 266 T-Breds are the same, just different multi and default FSB configurations. I mean, I have a 211 T-Bred now... And Kunaak, the NF2 mobos have a PCI lock, no need for dividers. They are always at 33Mhz no matter what FSB or AGP is.

thats kinda what im getting at guys every amd cpu now will do 200fsb np its the surrounding components that have a hard time doing that.

how can you release something that wont work correctly every time right out of the box? it wont be blamed on via or nvidia for lack 200fsb componants but on amd.

amd is making a BIG blunder if they push this idea threw.

Heh its only us that talk about this stuff. For a non overclocker they see this as a good thing. But running at 200fsb for most of us overclockers isnt the issue. I have been running at 333 fsb for a very long time on my agoia 1600+. However this cpu isnt the best and niether is this board, I have dipped into the thought of unlocking this chip and running it at 200 on an nf2, but I dont think its worth it. Probably just going to save my cash and keep this system.

i totaly agree with deathstar... before AMD uses a 200FSB chip they NEED to have a mobo out that will support it GAURENTEED AT DEFAULT with no chances that it wont, you can get RAM that will do that and there are some mobos that wlmost all of that line will do it but as of yet i have not seen more than one (and i forget the one i did see that some one pointed out...) that will do that... and i dont htink that one has a /6 divider either i think it was an Nforce 2 taht was gaureteed fast:D

The "magic trick" that has enabled most NF2 owners to hit a stable 200mhz fsb was a slight increase in chipset voltage- thats all. Unfortunately, not many boards allow this currently. To validate a board for 200mhz operation, many companies will simply have a mandatory BIOS update that will solve this vchipset problem. As someone else has already pointed out, the NF2 boards already have locks on the agp and pci busses, so no problem there.

Mr. Meth said:
The "magic trick" that has enabled most NF2 owners to hit a stable 200mhz fsb was a slight increase in chipset voltage- thats all. Unfortunately, not many boards allow this currently. To validate a board for 200mhz operation, many companies will simply have a mandatory BIOS update that will solve this vchipset problem. As someone else has already pointed out, the NF2 boards already have locks on the agp and pci busses, so no problem there.

the problem is that the NBs wont always do it... even though the PCI is locked and all... a BIOS update that allows it on ALL FOR SURE would probably work cuz some older boards only accept newer chips with a BIOS update but i really think it would be best for them to wait till it is more uniform thing and boards can support it for sure right out of the box:D

Mr. Meth said:
ill also point out that most of the NF2 mobo it isnt just a matter of a bios fix.its a physical change that will need to happen.not a biggy thoif you think about it.

BUT have you ever run a NF2 with a chipset voltage at 1.85-2vdd?ii bet not,but i do.and this is whats needed and its a almost complete redesign.and trust me epox knows this better than anyone.they could make a fortune right now if they could get one out the door.

it needs higher power mosfets and voltage controls.added on top that this cooling on these parts.
the north bridge needs to handle higher voltages and redesigned doing that,and much better active cooling.

its not impossable but will take time.mabey some mobo makers can do it.abit did a decent redesign on thier nf2 but it isnt enough in my opinion.

look for a epox nf2 revision mobo tho, but its not gonna be cheap.

Back