• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What could I do with this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidvolt

Registered
How could I set up a watercooling system with this? (I'ts a portable refridgerator/freezer) I think it needs to remain shut to keep cool.

PDRM0001.jpg

PDRM0002.jpg

whoa very neat! it looks 12v. is it? I proberly SUCKS the amps. ( i only see the cigeratte insert connector) YOu could insert a whole motherboard + in there. Or a FAT resivoir.

Are you willing to strip it down to nothing? You could use just the coolings parts. even though they proberly won't strong. It also would be nice to keep it in one peice being that it looks new.

I smell smoars, you could take your water cooled computer to camp outs. lol quake 3 in the middle of the forest! that would be disturbing.

DO you have any specs?

You might be able to do something with it- but its not going to get uber low temps by any means.
Its hard to tell from just the pics wether its a phase change or peltier powered system. How big is it? Does it have a compressor? It looks kinda like theres an evaporator there, but I cant be sure.

If its a phase change system, you are in luck. Try filling it with antifreeze mix and seing what tems it gets. If they are well below freezing, It might be worth a shot.

It definetly wont work for direct die, but it would make a convinient waterchiller if it can keep up with the heat load.

EDIT:

YOu could insert a whole motherboard

Dont do that. Condensation will kill your mobo and probably anything attatched to it if you do that.
Remember to do condensation sealing on the cpu if you make a waterchiller.

If it's phase change, then give it a go. if the water when the computer is idling is over room temp, then add a radiator in front of the water chiller.

how can I tell what it is?, my dad has it laying around and we use it when we go on trips like once a year. Had it for about 2 years or less.

It says powered by engel swing motor, Bought it for ~$600 if that helps tell what it is.

Edit: umm I could get the specs on it later tonight, need to find the booklet, yes its 12v i have the other connecter somewhere. It runs extremely quiet thats why I want to use it. Oh and yes its new and no I don't want to strip it.

Last edited:
Heh... This would shure beat Specific's cup holder case mod :) I GOT TWO, hehe. :D

take the side panel off and look to see if there is compressor/evap/condenser, or if there is two huge aluminum heatsinks and a pelt in the middle.

Man, I have all of these great ideas BUT NO MONEY:( It'll all have to wait till this summer:(

Hmmm... Quake 3 in the woods, with a waterchilled comp. Heaven:)

If anyone is interested here are the specs

Dont do that. Condensation will kill your mobo and probably anything attatched to it if you do that.
Remember to do condensation sealing on the cpu if you make a waterchiller.
No it won't, you only get condensation if you open the lid.Keep something like dessicant in there and don't open it and you will not get condensation.

If it's phase change, then give it a go. if the water when the computer is idling is over room temp, then add a radiator in front of the water chiller.
Nope that would just make it an expensive reservaur as it would keep ambient temps with the radiator in the circuit.

That probably can't handle a heatload, but you might as well test it.

Last edited:
I think you can stick some baking soda in it that will suck up any moister in the air. I think there is also this clay type stuff that does the same thing. I wouldnt cut it up or anything, I personaly dont think it would keep up with the heat load and I would hate to see a good soda fridge to go waste.

Warlord2 said:
I think you can stick some baking soda in it that will suck up any moister in the air. I think there is also this clay type stuff that does the same thing. I wouldnt cut it up or anything, I personaly dont think it would keep up with the heat load and I would hate to see a good soda fridge to go waste.

Your probably right, where might I be able to pick up a more powerful phasechange unit? and would it be better just to use a HSF if I were to stick the whole motherboard in there?

well, if there is say warm ewater going into a rad, cooling down, and then getting a few ore degrees in the chiller, it may work. the key is to keep the water in the chiller for a while. I may not be enough, becuase the vapo is 13A, and that can't be more than 10A, because thats what modern autos can do, alhough it may be just enough.

Buy a 226 Watts peltier and use the chilled water from this fridge to get sub-zero temperatures.
Also, I am looking for at a small fridge also to do the same. I am thinking of putting the radiator or the resovoir in the fridge, and insulate the water circuit (to prevent condensation), and get low temp.

filagt said:
Buy a 226 Watts peltier and use the chilled water from this fridge to get sub-zero temperatures.
Also, I am looking for at a small fridge also to do the same. I am thinking of putting the radiator or the resovoir in the fridge, and insulate the water circuit (to prevent condensation), and get low temp.
a latge cheat freezer way bigger than what he has got will be needed. we are debating whetehr it will coll of a funacelon, much less a 226 peltier. also, a rad or res in the freezer is incredibly inneficent. they way to go is to take it apart, and put the evap in a water res, with the water flowing theough the evap

Thanks, Bigg. I was of the thought that the fridge would be able to take all the 326 Watts of heat (226 W + 100 W) from the CPU.
What about a mini-deep freezer (its ratings says it can cool upto -18c)?

liquidvolt,
which unit is yours?
They are very good products and depending on the compressor it 'might/ be able to handle the entire heat load (except you don't want cold hdd, floppy, cd ....anything that is mechanical).
I'm toying with the concept of separating a computer into two sections and placing one section in a fridge/freezer.
wj

Back