• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you OC this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idioteQnology

when you oc your CPU & RAM do you guys also up the clock speed for AGP/PCI as well in the BIOS? do you have to? etc. thanks.

you run the risk of destroying your addon cards ocing their bus speeds. It is standard practice to lower the multiplier for the PCI and AGP busses to remain as near to the 33Mhz and 66Mhz standsards respectivly.

I'm not sure of your level of hardware knowlage, but make sure you know what your doing before you overclock or you will end up with a pricy bill to replace damaged parts. As a general rule, if your not sure wether something is in your capabilities, it probly isnt.

Older motherboards are more limited than some of the newer ones in this respect- but generally speaking, when you raise the FSB speed, PCI/AGP bus speed also increases.

PCI/AGP uses "dividers" to reduce the FSB speed to what they need to run at: pci is 33 mhz and agp is 66.
If the FSB is 133, then a 4 is the divider for PCI, 2 for AGP.
If you then increase fsb to 140 mhz, AGP is at 70 mhz and PCI is 35- and both of these are above spec for their respective buses: while they usually have no trouble running at those speeds, it IS a possibility!

Motherboards with a 5 divider are now common and allow a 166 mhz FSB while running PCI and AGP at spec. They dividers switch automatically when you set the higher bus speed, btw.

Mobos with PCI/AGP locks are out now too: giving the ability to restrict those buses to spec while increasing the FSB of the cpu/ram (I have not used one yet, myself.)

Personally, I like having all my buses running as fast as they can without errors: maximum performance from the hardware, etc.

Back