• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X DLX/GD oc problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revenant

Hi everyone!

Great forum and great guys and gals offering help and advice. Which is just what I need.

HW is as follows:
Chieftec cab with 340W PSU
ASUS A7N8X DLX/GD
XP2400@13x175 Glacialtech IGLOO2500@2200 rpm
TwinMos PC3200 2x256
Geforce2GTS

I guess you all are sick and tired of all those people posting that they are having problems reaching high FSB's with this setup. This can of course relate to a number of different causes, but I however have skimmed through this forum + a unknown number of others trying to find someone with my config and type of problems. As you can guess by now I have not found anyone yet which fully gives me a conclusion to what i have to do to reach a conclusion to my problem. Is the CPU unable to reach 200+, is it the MB, anything else?

Problem:
I can not seem to reach higher FSB's with this setup, any higher and it will drop out of Unreal2 after about 15-20 min. CPU temp at that point is in the area of 47-49C. This is the only application i have this problem with, everything else seems to run smoothly.
So I browsed forums and found several solutions VCore, VDIMM, VDD mod; 5V mod by HOOT. Ok, so i tried the following, drove to the nearest electronics shop and bought myself a multimeter, Glue gun and a soldering iron, went home and sat myself down for a number of hours trying to do the 5v mod by HOOT.

At 01:10AM I finally got the mod done ( I hate using a soldering iron so close to the MB, and had to try several times ). Result: Before the mod 5v+ would dip down to 4.5-4.6 in 3DMark01, now it never goes below 4.9
However, this did not aid me in reaching higher FSB's at all. So my final question is: Has anyone, with this kind or similar HW done the same thing, and what are your results/conclusions?

PS: I forgot to say, I am using Demolous's Über-BIOS 1002A

regards
Revenant

340 watt powersupply? You say your 5 volt never dips below 4.9 is that at an idle? Im running a 465 watt now which I cant go any more due to voltage dips. Any mod will only increase the amount of "potential" voltage that is available. 5 volt mod, vcore or not you cant give what you cant get.

Last edited:
hey do you trust asus probe for volt readings, my 5v line dips to 4.70. but i dont seem to have problems at 1.8vcore

Ya know, i use a 300 watt power supply that came with my case....
I never get reboots. I run the same speeds that the guys who purchased a $100.00 power supply run. Everyone is always quick to jump at the power supply.

Now, i realize the importance of the PS. And i realize i'm not running a blazing fast proc. But jumping directly at the ps is not always the solution. Lets say he goes and buys a $120.00 PS. And it makes Not one difference.... Thats $120 that could have been used to purchase,oh lets say a 2100 that will just plain outrun the 2400.

I would like to see more specs on the setup for the Ram before i gave any advice. Voltage to it,etc..

no i use a fluke multi meter to read my voltages. Of course I agree with you clash, I would never buy anything myself to fix a problem without verifying it. Otherwise your just part hanging and guessing. I just find it hard to beleive that 340 watt powersupply running a 2400 with every volt mod done to the board, can supply everything that is demanded for stability. Im sitting here right now with a fluke and when I crank my vcore dial up, I can watch the other voltages fluct downwards below spec with a 465 watt. Im not saying that is his problem, just questioning. For my taste though with his setup I wouldnt even go anywhere without lowering temperatures first. I dont know where most guys run but ive always found the most stability in the 30 celcius range and only increase voltages as needed running them as low as possible and still maintain stability. I was not saying go buy a new P.S. just questioning the capacity of his unit by the spec he gave.

Back