• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help raising my Raid-0 performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PatrickEHenry

Registered
Ok, First I would like to thank you for reading this thread. Now on to business. Frankly my hd performace is that of a single hd. All the load screens in Morrowind are driveing me crazy.

I have 512 mb of corsair cl2 on the way from newegg. That should take some of the load of my striped array. I would love to reformat and do a clean install of xp, but I have 78 gigs of stuff that I cannot transfer right now. Eventually Ill get a firewire external hd for backup, then do a clean install, but for now....

My setup is a soyo dragon plus (kt266a) with an onboard promise fasttrak lite controller. I have two WD1200JBs in a striped array. I down loaded and installed the latest 4in1 drivers, pci latency patch, and raid performance patch from viaarena. They have not helped. I'm using some cheapo rounded cables with rubber coating(each drive has it's own). I'm thinking that there is a lot of "crosstalk" going on between the individual wires since they are so close together.

I am willing to shell out for some "high performance" rounded cables with the copper mesh braiding and the grounding wire you can attach to the case. I heard storys of up to 30% performance increase, but never could find a review at a respected web sight. I did read one favorable review, but I think the web sit was affiliated with the site that sold them.... If I do get the cables, I'll rebenchmark and post the results.

Here is a benchmark of HDTach 2.61 after a few hours of continues defragmentation with Diskkepper 7

Last edited by a moderator:
Using XP by chance? It's notorious for poor RAID performance to begin with. Doesn't catch everyone, but most everyone. Writes are what are expected be low if that's what you're on, but reads, for the most part, aren't affected.

You've already done everything I can think of to improve your scores so there's nothing I can really recommend at this point. I would try a different bench just to make sure the results correlate and there is no chance of a buggy benchmark. I'd say try ATTO tools which I'll attach below.

As far as adding images, you were on the right track. You can insert attachments by using the Attach File option below when making a post, or, you can use the IMG tag which is available in the toolbar above where you make a post. You'll need to have website hosted file available in order to do that though. Most here use www.theforumisdown.com to do that. Free pic hosting up to 50KB in size.

ATTO Benchmark

Thanks Jon,
I have used atto and winbench99 as well. They all pretty much tell the same story. 29000 min, 56000 max, and 39000 ave. I wish I could post my pic of hd tach though. And yes I'm using xp home. Would going to pro make a difference, and what is your take on "high performance" cables.

Back