• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a little help hooking up an AT power supply if anyone can help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Hey all, I am fixing someones computer and it has an AT power supply on it. I was brougt into the computer world when the easy ATX power supplies were out, and I don't know everything about the AT powersupply, so when I unhooked everything I documented what went where. Anyway, there are these small wires (a red and black wire) coming out of the power supply. They look just like the wires that are used for the front of the case for reset, power, LEDs, and other things. Well I kind of can't figure out where they go because I made a mistake when I was documenting <: ) , and I fear they may be important. Anyway, where do I plug this in? The pictures of the wires, and the motherboards are inclosed so you will know exactley what I am talking about. Thanks for the help everyone!

DSC00780.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

Doesn't look to be a power switch, perhaps a PSU fan connector, but the best bet is to go to the motherboard website, and find the manual. Once you locate the front panel setup, you should, through the process of elimination, be able to determine its use. If a manufacturer is listed for the PSU, you could try their site, too.

I think Stool is right. I've seen that on a few AT power supplies, but I have yet to ever use it. I really doubt that it is supposed to plug in to any motherboard.

Use it to power the front LED of the case if it has one. Some cases had a display that you could set to show whatever you wanted to. The intent was to show the speed in MHz, but it was a pain to get to the jumpers, let alone set them.

stool said:
Doesn't look to be a power switch, perhaps a PSU fan connector, but the best bet is to go to the motherboard website, and find the manual. Once you locate the front panel setup, you should, through the process of elimination, be able to determine its use. If a manufacturer is listed for the PSU, you could try their site, too.

I have tried to find the motherboard manufacture already, and I think that it may be a freetech mainboard. But when I went to the freetech website, They didn't have anything but manuals for newer mainboards. I didn't think about checking the power supply manufacture though. I will check to see if there is anything on it. Oh and lazyart, there is a LED on the front that shows the speed. I may have actually removed it from the front of the case now that I think of it. I will check that out. Thanks everyone!

its not a big deal its for hooking up the silly mhz meters on the front of old cases
just tape it or zip tie it outta the way or run it threw a non used hole on the side of the mobo tray so it sits on the right side of the case and isnt seen

Yay! :) Thanks everyone, it was for the power to the LED on the front :D I can now continue the work. Thanks again!

Back