• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need a new psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

I have a 420w psu that is exactly the model no. as the Thermaltake 420w. I was doing some testing today and I set everything in my bios to defaults, then alls i did was change the chip voltage to 1.9v and then I got random reboots. I really think it's the psu especially since I had everything at default except voltage. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I don't know the rails besides because i have no money for a voltmeter. I didn't really get a chance to test my system when i had the sparkle 350w in it, but im pretty sure i had it at 1.9v when the sparkle was in there. I know I didn't get random reboots with the sparkle, but I only had it for one day until I broke it trying to change the fan. I don't think my problem could be anything else though. I mean it really couldnt be the motherboard b/c im not stressing it with everything at stock ,except the cpu voltage. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:
i don't know but i dont think they are right on. i though mobo readings were off anyway. the usdm readings for 5v is 4.945 at idle and goes down to 4.865 when at load. i dont see a 3v for usdm

Sorry, I was out for a bit.

The +5v level is questionable. As it lowers, +12v will rise. That's normal, within a range. +5 should not go below +4.90v though, so that might be the source of your problem.

Is there any way you can substitute another PSU, even for a bit? I'm suspecting your PSU too.

i will just get a new psu when i get money.(hopefully sometime soon) i dont really like all the long wires on this psu anyway. plus i would feel safer having a quality psu like a fortron/sparkle. i had my puter @ 1.9v today @ 11x195 but the voltages were way off even though they were mobo readings i still think they were way to far off. i think that the 3.3v reading is the worst ,but im not sure if its the right reading cuz its listed as vbatt or sumthing like that. also is it bad that this psu blows out warm air? i think that might be part of the instability

Last edited:
i put my board to 2.0v just to see if the psu could handle it. i tried to run 3dmark but 3dmark just closed and the puter didnt reboot. also i tried to run prime and i got errors. usually more voltage would increase stability ,so i think that my power supply couldn'nt handle it and that's why i got errors.

Back