• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a heater core assembly vs doing it yourself: pros and cons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpapag

Much thanks goes out to Dodge Viper and Neomoses for all their help and instruction on how to make your own customized 2 shroud push/pull system. So far I am very happy with the results.

A common misconception that people run into is that they think they will save a ton of money with a do it yourself system. "Well I can pick up a heater core for $16.00 when a Black Ice cost $40.00......." is what I hear all to often. Let's price out the DIY system against a core combo system from dtekcustoms that cost $48.00 and comes with 1 shroud and $15.99 for the additional shroud. Thats a total of $63.99 + shipping. To do it yourself using 1 sheet of aluminum for the two shrouds cost me the following:

- 2 - 1/2" brass threaded barbs, cost $1.49 each.
- 1 - 8”x18”x1/16' aluminum sheet, cost $6.49
- Solder, cost $3.00
- Flux, cost $2.50
- Propane torch $15.00
- 1 roll of 3M silver heat tape, cost $7.00
- 86 Chevette Heater core from autozone.com, cost $24.00 after shipping

Total cost: $53.17 plus tax.

I only saved $7.82. Maybe $14.82 assuming shipping from dtek cost $7.00. To me, its not that big of a cost savings seeing as the entire project takes awhile to complete.

Pros: You gain the experiance of how to make the system. You have a better performing system. You have the potential to make more systems with your remaining suppy of products and sell them for a profit.

Cons: Unless you make more systems with your remaining suppy of products and sell them for a profit, your not really saving any money.

Overall, I do think that it is worth it if you have the time. But don't think that your going to save money by doing this unless you have all of the supplys already.

- Heatercore - $12 (ok, I get discount :p )

- 2 1/2x1/4NPT Hose barbs - 59 CENTS each (http://www.portagespecialty.com/default.html) Few bucks shipping, but I bought 30 :)

- Sheet metal - not sure of price, but really cheap - Home Depot.

- 1 tube of JB Weld - ~$2?

If I soldered, I wouldn't add torch/flux/solder as I have those supplies from other work, and those would only be initial costs. They would last through many many heatercore jobs.

Can get it done in a few hours.

Both posts have valid points. Another factor is there is only one size core available setup like that at dtek. If you want a different size you pretty much haveta do it yourself.

peace.
unloaded

very nice.

but also, If you have some of that stuff, like if your dad had the solder, flux, and torch.... it would lower the price $20.50

I went this rout, I bought a camaro core(year- 1989) and desoldered the long tubes and made some short ones (the ID is over .5inches and od is about .625) and soldered them in place(more stuff laying around the basement) then I took one of those signs you find in feilds advertizing crops(got a bunch of them in the shed) and I made a shroud out of that. just taped the thing on, Works great, its white, looks ok. and all is good:)
It only costed me the 18 dollars for the core and a little time.

Jon

Big Chevy Caprice Heatercore:
$25

Plastic from a hobby store:
$5

Barbs - none
$0

I would imagine it performs slightly better than the much more expensive JPI Performance Scoop, since its shroud is deeper and has seperate chambers for each fan.

Back