• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk900 92mm fan but 100c bios temp reading :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyndrider2001

Registered
I am using a xp 2100, everything set at optimum/default, but getting idle temp readings in the bios up to 100 celcius at which point the asus a7n8x deluxe auto shuts off the system. Could it be a case of too much thermal compound? I applied to the cpu core as well the heatsink.

What do you mean by bad mount? I just realized that the 92mm tornado that I'm using is really may case fan and not a cpu fan, it's the 119.0 CFM Vantec (Sunon) Tornado Fan 92 x 38 mm

The fan is definatly not the problem (its actually the best possible fan you could have used). I would think the problem is either one of two things: either you put on too much compound (you litterally need a translucent coating on the cpu), or the contact pressure is too little (ie the heatsink is either not screwed down enough or its not equally pressured so part of the heat sink is off the cpu). I would suggest taking out your motherboard, taking off the heatsink, cleaning both the core and heatsink thoroughly with some isopropyl alcohol, reapplying a razor thin coating of as3 (also i like to put a VERY small dab on the heatsink, rub it on the contact area between the heatsink and cpu, then wipe off the excess), and then making sure that the heatsink is mounted perfectly flat and that the heatsink is snugly on the cpu.

Wow, amazing what I've been doing is thining and thining the thermal grease and mounting tighter and tighter. I've heard horor stories of too much grease etc....that's why.

But finally i tried something that most ppl would think is just the opposite of what you should really do. I backed off the mounting a little bit. not as tight and applied a really thick layer of grease.

well what do you know. now my temps are steady 32 C in the bios...hurray!!!!!

How smooth was the base of your heatsink? I actually had to do the same with my SK7. Use double the paste that I did on my Volcano 9. This thing is in desperate need of lapping.

The A7N8X is not fully compatible!

heatsinkfactory.com had placed a warning saying that the SLK-900 won't fit properly on the A7N8X Deluxe. http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-011 has the detail information.

Thermalright's website states that significantly bending the capacitors is required. Check out this site, it's not pretty: http://www.thermalright.com/faq_900_Motherboard.html

The heatsink is definitely not fitting on the core properly. You will have to bend the capacitors that are hitting underneath the heatsink at the edges.

You'd be best off returning the SLK-900 and getting a SLK-800A and using a 80MM 84 CFM fan instead.

I did the same with my sk7. Applied as3 to the bottom of the hs and worked it in where the core contacts then wiped it off filling in any irregularities. Also, the sk7 fits tighter (stiffer clip) than the volcano 9 which is also copper/aliminum as opposed to all copper in the sk7. It's made a world of difference for me on my 2600+.
Very pleased.

Back