• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Chevettes> all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

i went to my local autozone to look for a chevette heatercore today and they din'dt have any but the next town over had it for 27 bucks. i sai dno. i went to teh back of their storage room and sat there for an hour looking at all their heatercores. some are nissan, ford, chevy, brands like that. it shouldn't make a difference in performance if i use a different one right? it's just the dimensions that make the difference, and is why all of you guys use the chevette, cause it fits really nicely.

i bought a ford heatercore (no idea what model its for) and i found out its like 1 1/2 inches too tall. time to go return it for another one.

I have found that the autozone Chevy beretta 1980's heater core to be what you would think of a normal chevette heatercore in size and barb shape. Hope this helps out. Autozone had pictures on the side of the box so you can see what shape the barbs are also.

yeah im not really concerned about the shape anymore because on the box it gives the dimensions and shows how the barbs are. im just wondering if the chevette's design is superior performance wise. because they all look the same to me, just different dimensions.

Ahh, ok, no the chevette core isnt really any better its just the shape that fit alot of peoples computers pretty good. The autozone chevette is an odd barb shape compaired to the normal chevette cores from what i have seen. You shouldnt worry about performance differences unless its 1/2~ the size so you pretty much can choose any heatercore and get nearly the same performance. The chevette core is ~was really popular because of the barb placement and size mostly.

ok, im goin back to autozone after lunch today to pick up a different heatercore. time to sit in the back of their store again!

so funny last time, i sat in the back looking at all the dimensions on like every single heatercore box and the saleswoman sat there next to me price checking every single one. and now it turns out the one i chose was too big hahaha. such a shame, it was only 17 bucks. there was another that i believe was shorter and was 19 bucks. we'll see.

ok, that sounds like a good plan to get a bit shorter one. What case do you have and exactly how large can you have the heatercore be and still fit? As on some cases you just pop the rivet and remove the harddrive bay and it will fit nicely.

yeah i have a chieftec dragon style case. im gonan remove the bottom hard drive cage. the heatercore i ahve right now is a tad too tall and it cant fit under the top drive cage. my heater core's dimensions are 7 3/4 x 6 x 2 according to the box. but those dimensions are the actual surface area of the heatercore, not including the barbs and the little thing sticking out on the bottom too. including those the height is 9 inches. just slightly too tall. but the width of it is perfect for the case. i think when i go this afternoon i may just bring my case with me so i can test it then and there.

funning thing. They guy who makes heater cores for chevetts and probably seeing a run of these things. I bet they got the chevette heater core line working overtime. And someone has got be wondering why all a sudden all these heater cores are going bad.

Hey, I am in search of the perfect heatercore for the same case. It looks like it dosn't exist. The 2-453 was sooo close but 1/4" too tall. It seems all the other ones are quite smaller than I would like. Please post back what heatercore you end up getting and the total dimensions.

That might help be out a bit.

no problem deathonator. have you asked to look around at your autozone's heatercore selection? cause i just sat there looking at every single one. measure out your dimensions of the space you need (i forget what they are) and then just remember them when you look at all the boxes. keep in mind the dimensions on teh box are for the heatercore part, not including the barbs and the little bump at the bottom so expect to add mabye 2 inches to the height to see what size you need. im not sure how i can find out exactly what heatercore im gonna get though because yesterday when i was looking at all of them they all just said "nissan" or "ford" but never says anything about which model. someone tell me how to find out?

hey guys i got the heatercore. my box doesnt say what model car it is but it does say its for fords. its 6 x 6 x 2 and it fits my case perfectly! although the barbs are enormous, they stick out sideways like this:

(top view)

|_____|___ __|__________|
| |
\ \--------------------------------------
\____________________________|

mine is the exact same as this one:
http://www.broncohio.com/tech/heatercore/heatercore12.jpg

because of the enormous barbs i cant fit it in my case right side up like everyone else does. but, it is short enough to turn onto its side. im going to mount it on its side so that the barbs are pointing upwards, and it fits perfectly! this way i wont have to replace the huge barbs now! if someone could tell me how i can find out the model for this heatercore, then it'd be a big help to
deathonator. also it costed me just 18 bucks.

davekusa said:
funning thing. They guy who makes heater cores for chevetts and probably seeing a run of these things. I bet they got the chevette heater core line working overtime. And someone has got be wondering why all a sudden all these heater cores are going bad.

No he's not wondering, he's is scratching his head and wondering, did Chevy really sell that many chevettes and if they did are still on the road. :)

Back