• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supermicro 400W PSU queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you mean? Plz elaborate. I spent around USD$200+ on this PSU.

$200 us is a lot of money for a psu. A PC Power & Cooling true cool 510 (arguable the best) is near that cost.

To elaborate on this most PSU's are overrated on the side stickers. Its not fair but some co. will miss represent the the actual output by stating a possible output. Check the Sticky in this section for more info. I think your question will be answered in detail.

With every ATX supply I've checked, when I multiplied the volts * amps of each rail and added those power ratings, the total was a power rating 10-50% higher than the official overall power rating. OTOH with old AT supplies the calculated value matched the official one within 5%. I don't know why this is.

How is it possible to spend $200 U.S. dollars on a regular ATX PSU? Wouldn't it be better to buy 3-4 good PSUs for that price so you'll have spares?

larrymoencurly said:
With every ATX supply I've checked, when I multiplied the volts * amps of each rail and added those power ratings, the total was a power rating 10-50% higher than the official overall power rating. OTOH with old AT supplies the calculated value matched the official one within 5%. I don't know why this is.

How is it possible to spend $200 U.S. dollars on a regular ATX PSU? Wouldn't it be better to buy 3-4 good PSUs for that price so you'll have spares?

This PSU seems to be a server one though. In case you didn't know, Supermicro produces server based stuff so the parts should be of high quality. If I were to find the total watts of the 3.3V + 5V line, it would be 30*3.3 + 5*50 = 350W.

Tismedt said:
$200 us is a lot of money for a psu. A PC Power & Cooling true cool 510 (arguable the best) is near that cost.

To elaborate on this most PSU's are overrated on the side stickers. Its not fair but some co. will miss represent the the actual output by stating a possible output. Check the Sticky in this section for more info. I think your question will be answered in detail.

There are no side stickers on this psu. In fact, it didn't even have a manual. The shop owner told me that this was a server psu and was very powerful so I wondered if the rating is true cause my 12V line is @ 11.97-12.03v w/3x 7200rpm Maxtors + 1x 10000rpm Maxtor.

I posted a thread in motherboards about Supermicro stuff.

The supplies are like there boards 100% top quality, the supply is probably designed for one of there boards and as such will be able to supply enough juice to run a dual P3 server running about 3PCI cards, CDROM & Floppy and 3-5 disks.

Ive decided to go for a supermicro PSU to match my board (they do recomend there own PSUs in the boards manual hahaha) but like you said ctty they do cost 1 hell of a lot of money for what is a 400W PSU but every single dollar went on quality

Back