• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 256 or 1 x 512 for a7n8x dlx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kimbahpnam

since it's cheaper to get one stick instead of 512 than the 2 x 256 twin sticks, and after hearing that the dual doesn't really help...what would be a better choice?

In terms of how much voltage is used by the memory, troubleshooting problems if the RAM fails a diagnostic check, and other reasons of which I'm not too sure of, it's best to buy the fewest amount of modules necessary.

On my Asus A7V333 for example, if one bought three PC2700 modules, the system board would still reduce the speed to that of PC2100 - on the A7V333, only the first two modules can be used with faster performing memory. That's not going to be an issue on newer boards, but I thought I'd mention it.

I had bought two 512 MB modules for my system, but only because I couldn't find a 1 GB module.

This link may help.

1 module of 256MB usually can clock the highest, but 256 MB is generally not enough and smooth enough to run XP.

For 512 MB, 1 module (2 banks/module) is cheaper and may even clock a few MHz higher.

For 1GB, no choice, needs two modules as of today.

I run 2x256 because i thought the Dual DDR was actually supposed to increase performance. I know better now. Go with the cheaper 1x stick..

I was using just one 512Mb stick, then I upgraded for a total of 2X512Mb sticks in slots 1 and 3. Before and after tests indicate a slight performance increase with the 2 sticks even oc'd at 200Mhz.

Despotes said:
I was using just one 512Mb stick, then I upgraded for a total of 2X512Mb sticks in slots 1 and 3. Before and after tests indicate a slight performance increase with the 2 sticks even oc'd at 200Mhz.

Have you tried putting the two sticks in dimm1 and dimm2 (next to each other)? They may even be overclocked a few MHz higher, without losing on dual channel memory bandwidth.

Back