• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BGA or Rev 4 ramsinks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

I was looking on http://www.overclock.co.uk/ and they are selling some quite nice looking ram sinks, but the thing is they are selling BGA ones, and rev 4 ones, i know the difference between them, but is tehre any point in using BGA one at all... considering the rev 4 ones are cheaper and actaully have a larger surface area... Unless the rev4 ones are just too thin to fit on the BGA chips and therefor useless?

I assume your referring to the Tweakmonster sinks. Considering you have BGA ram, I would go with the BGA sinks. Larger surface area wont really help you that much if its not making good (or any) contact with the heat source (ram chip). Just make sure you have a little airflow over those babies and your good to go.

-RuKK

Yeah, i was refering to the tweakmonster ones... See i was thinking that as the rev 4 sinks are larger, then they will have a higher heat capacity, which im sure cant be a bad thing, and so long as they cover the entire chip then it should be okay, and because of the dementions of the rev 4 chips in comparison to the BGA chips then the rev 4 sinks will overhang and should give a larger effective surface area? which to me sounds like a bonus, considering they are actually cheaper.

Back