• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the next big thing (vid-cards)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tseongsun

OK so I was all hyped up and planning to buy the new GeforceFX up until a couple months ago when we all realized it's an overpriced vacuum cleaner that is only about on par with the 9700 pro.

So I am in need of a new vidcard (right now I have a GF2-GTS) and I'm wondering should I buy a 9700 pro or something like that now, or should I wait for the next generation of cards from Ati and Nvidia to come out.

I can wait a while it's not a BIG rush but I kinda want one for all the great games coming out, ie: Splinter Cell, Raven Shield, Doom3, etc...

Here's my 2 cents as an OpenGL developer.

The next big thing will be the "actual" use of the 2.1gig/sec throughput afforded by AGP 8x. This won't happen for a while... but it will happen. There might be an entire generation of cards before it's realized though.

Next... standardized shader versions (OpenGL is going the right direction here). The fact that video-cards change vertex/pixel shader versions PER CYCLE is unacceptable.

N-patch techonology. People don't really get how cool this feature is, but it will be realized sooner or later. Nvidia just can't figure it out, whereas ATI can.

I think nvidia's CG is a step in the right direction for a shader language... but proprietary anything sucks.

If you read Carmack's comments on the same subject you'll pretty much get my sentiments exactly.

his girlfriend. she got on a really good diet plan and he thought he would show us all how well it worked out. :eek:

tseongsun said:
Thanks guys. By the way, overclocker550... what's the story behind your avatar?
he is fascinated by weight.

he has a collection of scales and weights.

he also likes his women a bit on the thick side.

thus his avy.

on subject i think the next big thing is dx9 optimized games/drivers.

the hardware is way ahead of the video games at this point. i'd like to see some games that actually uses this newfangled stuff. and i don't want another Aquanox (dx8.1 showcase.. horrible game) just to show off the features. i want good playable games.

Back