• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW Nvidia really is starting to show REAL signs of defeat. MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

I said a few months ago that Nvidia was reminding me of 3Dfx and now months later they are completely going the root of 3Dfx. You guys have to read this.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1046550257

Lemme know what you think...

You know I thought the fact that the GeforceFX Ultra not coming out was a huge dis to everyone and that it was terrible. It was just a marketing thing. But things just seems to get worse and worse...:eek:

EDIT: A lot of people are saying that Nvidia is going die going under, etc... This is silly and completely far from the truth, they are way to Huge to go under because of One Bad product.
We are speaking in the defeat of Nvidia in terms of the latest Product the Geforce FX.

Last edited:
Overclocker550 said:
I feel sorry for them really :cry: but fate has its ways. soon ATI is gonna be a monopoly

I don't feel sorry at all.. but the 3Dfx curse is alive so I think. I think it would take a long time for ATI to become a monopoly, but I doubt it's possible. But they will be Tops cats for long time...

On the other hand they seem to raise a few valid points.

Don't get me wrong - I may be firmly in the nVidia camp, but I recognize a failed product when I see one, and the FX more than qualifies as a failure in my eyes.

But as for nVidia's statements about '03, they're right for the wrong reasons. Yes, the benchmark is, in my eyes, fairly worthless. Redundant tests, tests that are meant to test DX9 but really don't... What was the point in 03 anyway? Rush it out the door or something?

but...

Yes, it looks to me like nVidia is complaining MAINLY because their new baby sucks when thrashed with it.

Sigh.

As much as I have historically despised ATI for their SHODDY SHODDY driver support and shenanigans, as well as their horrible OEM support, if I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket RIGHT NOW, my choice of cards is pretty clear.

Hint: It doesn't have a vacuum cleaner wrapped around it.

I dont really feel that benches are the only way to measure performance but this is especially true when the benchmark starts testing features that are not even in any games (directx 9 and such)

ATI really caught NVIDIA with their pants down with the 9700 and R300 core. Don't be fooled by recent events though, NVIDIA is a very stable company financially. They have a ton of cash on hand.

They are also making a lot more money than expected with nforce2 chipsets.

I think they lost their competitive edge because they had no real competition for almost 2 years. Now that ATI is giving them a good run for their money, that should change.

Jstic said:
ATI really caught NVIDIA with their pants down with the 9700 and R300 core. Don't be fooled by recent events though, NVIDIA is a very stable company financially. They have a ton of cash on hand.

I think they lost their competitive edge because they had no real competition for almost 2 years. Now that ATI is giving them a good run for their money, that should change.

I think you summed it up great, especially reminding folks Nvidia isn't only GPU's, but chipsets as well.
Nvidia isn't going anywhere, but ATI has/is gaining marketshare daily, and much of that is coming from Nvidia.....

If nVidia fades away, there's going to be someone else to compete with Ati. SiS maybe? Or S3? Only god knows.

Jstic said:

Their chipsets can nowhere near support them. If nVidia lost a lot of market share in the graphics department, u would see some BIG cuts from nVidia. They hold about 3% of the AMD chipset market share, and AMD only holds about 15% of the CPU market...they arent making much at all from their chipsets.

pip said:
uhh...alienware is shipping the gffx 5800 ultra with area 51s right now it's out right now

That doesnt mean its out. Can u buy one on retail shelves? No...so its not out.

uhh...alienware is shipping the gffx 5800 ultra with area 51s right now it's out right now

Notice the words "Limited Availibility" though. There have been only about 5000 or so of these cards shipped *worldwide* and there probably won't be any more shipments. I wonder how many cards Alienware received...

If you are crazy about getting an Alienware computer that sounds like an alien too (or vacuum cleaner), here is your chance though! :D

Someone came in our store asking to buy a GF FX Ultra. I hope he didn't hear me LMAO behind the tech shop door. We have pre-orders of the PNY 5800 on the website for $330 though. Only thing is:

Expected Ship Date: Tuesday, April 01, 2003

-Rav

PreservedSwine said:

I think you summed it up great, especially reminding folks Nvidia isn't only GPU's, but chipsets as well.
Nvidia isn't going anywhere, but ATI has/is gaining marketshare daily, and much of that is coming from Nvidia.....

I second that!

nvidia messed up, its all about how they deal with this mess up thats going to decide their futre. ati messed up plenty of times, now look at them. i expect nvidia is going to realease a great card late this year or early next year.

haha this is funny how its working out :|... ok back in the day... not to long ago i got a voodoo4 4500 pci card... little while later the company went under... now i got an nvidia card and they are going under :eek: haha

DDR-PIII said:
haha this is funny how its working out :|... ok back in the day... not to long ago i got a voodoo4 4500 pci card... little while later the company went under... now i got an nvidia card and they are going under :eek: haha

you should get an ATI card next :D

Back