• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win'98 loading problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash'n'burn

Registered
OK, I just built a system on an Asus A7V333-X mo/bo (having sent a faulty ECS K7S5A-L back) Now, having booted up & formatted the drive, every time I run setup I get a report saying it's found a compressed volume or disk-cache utility on my computer! Has anyone ever had this problem & if so, how do I get around it?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanx.

:cool:

It's a brand new Western Digital Protege hard disk, never been used before so there should be nothing on it, right? So, all I've done so far is prepare the disk to install an O/S but setup is telling me I need to decompress a volume or remove a disk-cache which shouldn't even be there in the first place! I'm confused now, not to mention fed up! Thanks. :)

Maybe you should try partitioning and formatting first?

Unless you've already done that, in which case do it again.

Yes, I had already partitioned & formatted. I've done it 3 or 4 times now. Last time I even reset the CMOS & disabled the anti-virus in bios but still I get the same problem! Nobody I know has ever had or heard of anyone else who's had this problem so no-one seems to have a clue what else I can do. Should I just e-mail WD to see if they can help? :/

try running this debug script:

first start debug from a w98 dos boot disk. then type these commands:

note: press enter between eack of these commands.

[A 100] [int 13] [Press the ENTER Key] [RAX] [0301] [RBX] [0200 ] [F 200 L 200 0]

[RCX] [0001] [RDX] [0080] (Substitute 0081 for this
entry if you are clearing the
table on the second physical
hard disk, 0082 if you are
clearing the third physical
hard disk, and so forth).

[P] (Debug will display several lines of information).

[Q]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot first, then go into fdisk, to see that no partitions now exist.

I did this, and it erased my disk dry. All i had to do was create a new partition, then format, and all was good.

Note: i got this information from the m.s. site, # 106419.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was told by WD to download the zero-set utility from their website to completely re-set the drive. Having done that I was able to start the installation, but now I have a different problem! I've tried with '98, ME & XP and I can not get this system to run stable ..... we've tried different HDD, CD-ROM, video card, etc & I still get one blue screen after another! Last time I tried XP it told me to test the hardware, primarily the memory as it seems to think it could be "faulty or mis-matched"
(the BSoD's have been giving what looks like are maybe memory addresses?) How can I test them?
Any help much appreciated.

might be RAM as far as i know NT when installing checks and stops on memory problems and XP is based on NT kernal try swapping memory and see if the problem is there

Crash'n'burn said:
primarily the memory as it seems to think it could be "faulty or mis-matched"
(the BSoD's have been giving what looks like are maybe memory addresses?) How can I test them?
Any help much appreciated.

You can try testing your RAM with MemTest86. It makes it's own bootable floppy disk and runs tests on the memory. You would probably want to run them overnight since they can take a while, possibly as long as five hours.

Cheerz everyone. Does anyone know if there are any known issues with this mo/bo concerning generic RAM? It's 2 sticks of pc2100 @ 256 Mb each. I just can't see how both sticks would have the same fault?
Thanx again.

I might have missed it from your previous posts, but have you tried "rotating" the ram? In other words, take one out and try to install your stuff. If it fails, take that one out and put the other stick back in and try the install again.

I haven't heard of known issues with motherboards and generic ram. Generic Ram usually = crap. I can say that from experience, because I'm using a generic stick of ram with my system and it's keeping me from going to/over 140 fsb. :(

Yup, tried it one stick at a time & still had problems. I will try the memtest86 & see what happens. Could it be a dodgy mo/bo or a duff CPU?

All I can really think for you to try is to take the computer to a friend's house or local computer shop and test each component in a different system to see if they work right. It might just end up being a bad/flawed motherboard.

Back