• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Suggestion Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jofrad

Registered
i am building a new computer, its going to be my first one. I am planning on using a MSI K7nG-L mobo w/ a athlon xp 2600+ thats running on 333 fsb, 2 HD's, 2 CD drives, and later on a ATI 9500 pro.

what Antec power supply should i get?

300watts, 350 watts, 380 watts, or anything higher

i just need one thats sufficient enough to run this computer and something that would be good when overclock this machine. And im on a budget.

thnx

Considering that your on a budget I'd go with either a Antec 330W TP or a 380W TP. $53 and $70 respectively. If you have enough money to go for a higher model by all means do so.

I reccomend something even higher than the 380W (i have a 480W antec true power blue) and the reason is that these powersupplys will be able to handle future loads which will undoubtedly be much higher than what is needed today, actually last time i looked the vendors like alienware were using 400w enermax PSUs and higher. enermax personally is my second favorite (behind antec) and they are cheap too! plus i saw an article on anandtech which basically said that they were 2nd best after antec too (if anyone would like to search for that article and post a like here I'd be greatful becuase i couldnt find it :()

Why not 350W Fortrons (same as Sparkle) for $38 from www.directron.com? Probably stronger than 350W Antecs (SmartPower, Solution Series) but probably not stronger than
330W or 380W TruePowers.

larrymoencurly said:
Why not 350W Fortrons (same as Sparkle) for $38 from www.directron.com? Probably stronger than 350W Antecs (SmartPower, Solution Series) but probably not stronger than
330W or 380W TruePowers.

Have to agree with that.I think the 350Fortrons would be a much better choice and price..Just my.02.JS

For a 2600 and all that stuff, go with something around 400W or more. I have a 350W Antec running 2 HDD's (raid), 8 fans (inc. hsf), 2 CDROMS, a zip, a floppy, a 2000+, and overclocking FSB with no problems with ANY voltage. As stable as the house build upon the rock after the rain and the floods :D. I had a cheap no-name 400W in there before, I had to pitch it because it couldnt stand up to its required duty. So I went to BB and got a 350 smartpower, and this thing has been the first best investment after my $30 TNT2 :D.

Back