• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Asus P4S8X read temps incorrectly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_orcus_

Registered
I noticed with my Asus P4S8X that MBM5 and Asus Probe both show my cpu temp around 29C and system temp around 30C when idle... They jump to 38C/35C after running prime95 for awhile.

Do these temps sound right for this motherboard? I didn't think it was possible for the cpu to run cooler than the system temp?

Thanks.

Saw your thread a couple of days ago. Since no one else has responded I must assume that you and I are the only P4S8X owners around. I have relegated my P4S8X to my 2nd PC and use the P4PE in my main rig. I actually haven't checked the temp readings of the S8X mainly because I was so dissapointed with the board I only tried it for about 2 weeks in my main system. Asus probe reads directly from your BIOS. Asus boards have been known to misread temps. The only real way to verify is to actually take a physical reading using a thermistor and guage. And that will be slightly off due to the fact that the thermistor cant be placed directly above the core of the CPU. I hope you get more responses from other users of the S8X board, as I likely have not been much help. Sorry.

Trash80 said:
Saw your thread a couple of days ago. Since no one else has responded I must assume that you and I are the only P4S8X owners around. I have relegated my P4S8X to my 2nd PC and use the P4PE in my main rig. I actually haven't checked the temp readings of the S8X mainly because I was so dissapointed with the board I only tried it for about 2 weeks in my main system. Asus probe reads directly from your BIOS. Asus boards have been known to misread temps. The only real way to verify is to actually take a physical reading using a thermistor and guage. And that will be slightly off due to the fact that the thermistor cant be placed directly above the core of the CPU. I hope you get more responses from other users of the S8X board, as I likely have not been much help. Sorry.

I was also starting to think I was the only P4S8X owner out here... Lol. I had constant issues with my board with the 1003a bios but updating to the 1005.009 beta bios has made this mobo very stable and everything works 100%.

Next week I was gonna do what you suggested and see what temps I get... I am using an Alpha 8942 heatsink but even so I doubt my full load temps are 39C.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Mine runs about 89-90 degrees at idle and 100-103 degrees at full load.

Thats a 1.8Ghz Northwood running at 2.9Ghz

i dont know why people say this is such a bad board

i maxed it out easy on stock air /voltage with a 2.4b chip and it all ran great.

what ahs me is my 2.4 400mhz chip will not boot in this mobo!!! but the chip work fine!!!

I had one that got RMA's due to inoperable SATA connector on the mobo. I guess they went out of production fairly rapidly 'cause Newegg refunded rather replaced. Another little mentioned issue is that if you hook up the USB2 port on the motherboard it corrupts the secondary ATA channel. I don't know if they fixed that one, but with those exceptions, it was OK.

Back