• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EPOX 8K7A settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnNASA

Registered
Help
I have the following and need someone to tell me what all the motherboard jumper and BIOS settings to make for this setup. I do not want to overclock this system yet. I would like to get everything setup and running for a couple of weeks before cranking it up. I have allways bought ABIT in the past but I had to venture out and try this EPOX board that so many have talk about. So all these jumpers are new to me since ABIT has Softmenu.

Fong Kai case 300w PS
Epox 8K7A Rev. 1.0
AMD 1.4Ghz
Thermalright SK6 with Sunon 60mm High Output fan (using Arctic Silver II)
Crucial DDR PC2100U 2-256mb 266Mhz, CL2.5
Leadtek GeForce 2 Pro 64mb
Sound Blaster Live Value
3 COM NIC
Sony 52X CDROM
Plextor 16/10/40A CDRW
Floppy

Thanks to all who make this such a great forum.
johnNASA

Someone Please..................... Help.......................

Well first off, you have to change your Front-Side Bus Jumper. Otherwise it defaults at 100mhz which should put your chip at 1050-ish. So switch that, and you should be ok if you don't want to overclock right away.

If you're still having trouble, respond again, and I'll dig out my manual and try and help by identifying everything and it's location relative to other pieces, but I don't have it with me now.

The manual is more than adequate, I had mine up and running at more than 160Mhz FSB on a dropped multiplier within minutes, then I flashed the BIOS, dropped the multiplier again and was upto 180Mhz in no time.

It would seem that you don't like EPoX in the slightest from the posts that you have made. In the UK they are very cheap and I've had a few for review and have been very pleased with their performance, quality and documentation. They are an excellent board on par with ABit, ASUS and MSI

Quick question regarding your last post (Andy is it?). Can you give me a quick overview of the BIOS updates you've gone through? I'm still running on the one that shipped with it. Are the later updates more stable/overclockable? Thanks.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out when I get fully up and running. With the current BIOS, I can't achieve a stable FSB of much over 140. I think something in my system really hates being run out of spec. I'm pretty sure there are some documented problems between the 686B southbridge, and the SBLive! Series (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.) so I'm betting that's the unhappy piece of hardware.

Hm, I just remembered that I installed everything with the SBLive (Playcenter, and all that junk software that I'll probably never use). Maybe I'll uninstall that and just try it with the drivers. I'm also running Win98, so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. There are so many things to think about! I think probably the best idea would be just to remove the SBLive and uninstall it's drivers, then O/C? Any comments?

*Edit - A side note to Andy - People over in the "Biggest FSB Range" topic are wondering what kind of motherboard you're running.

The newest bios (dated 7/11) is supposed to have a 1/5 pci divider, so that might make your Blaster gladder. I know I had a Linksys nic that didn't run worth a sh*t over 146mhz fsb. I switched it out with my D-Link card which works fine. Maybe when I get a chance to try the new bios I'll pop the Linksys card back in and see what happens.

The board runs around 135 shipped from newegg. On a side note, if anyone gets the FSB over 200mhz, I'd love to hear how the memory scores compare with PIVs. I have a feeling they'll still slightly lag, but I want to see by how much. Also, with regards to making my Live! happier, I'd think so too, if not for the fact that I probably won't clear the speed necessary to cause the board to shift to 1/5. Ah well. Can't win them all.

Valid (Jul 13, 2001 01:03 a.m.):
The board runs around 135 shipped from newegg. On a side note, if anyone gets the FSB over 200mhz, I'd love to hear how the memory scores compare with PIVs. I have a feeling they'll still slightly lag, but I want to see by how much. Also, with regards to making my Live! happier, I'd think so too, if not for the fact that I probably won't clear the speed necessary to cause the board to shift to 1/5. Ah well. Can't win them all.

Even at 200 MHz DDR bandwidth isn't going to be anywhere near Rambus's bandwidth. But since the latency is lower, it still might run better.

Valid, my SBLIVE! Value runs fine with 150 FSB (37.5 Mhz PCI). I haven't played around with higher FSB speeds yet but I was also running 153 Mhz for a while without problems. I need to get that new BIOS and try it out when I get some time. I'm still using 1606 which has worked fine for me.

Hm, wonder what might be the problem then. The only things installed in the computer are the things listed in my signature. Any ideas?

Hm. No, haven't tried doing that. I haven't looked into it that closey. Is it screwed down or otherwise held down, or will I have to get the AS thermal adhesive? All I've got right now in the ol' toolkit is ASII compound.

Back