• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Argh. I can't make up my friggin mind!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I keep going back and forth between KT400 and Nforce2. So far here is what I am getting so tell me what I should get:

512mb PC3200 DDR
AThlon XP 2100+ T-bred
80 GB Maxtor HD 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, ATA 133

I want ATA 133, USB 2.0, No on-board audio/video if it can be helped. 333mhz FSB would be nice.

Maybe I am just fried right now and can't think clearly... Good thing I have you guys :D

Is there any preference to which Nforce chipsets are used for the northbridge/southbridge? Or do it not really matter?

no sense to buy kt400 if you use pc3200 ram, they only have a 1/5 divider which supports up to 166fsb sync safely, any higher would increase the pci bus as well and may cause hdd corruption

with pc3200 ram, use nforce2 with the pci/agp locks

I think the Asus has tons of features the other doesn't. Im not getting it because of mounting and clearance. also the 1,85 vcore. I think my choice is either gonna be the abit or epox....BUT WHICH!!!

I can find most of the features I want in a couple of these boards, but why do they ALWAYS come with on-board audio and/or video? That only makes it more expensive when I have to buy a better card anyway?

Oh... and when I stated about the IGP/SPP NForce2 chip questions, I was referring to the Northbridge chipset. I don't know if it makes any difference.

Ok that makes it SOoooooo much easier to search thank you Jeff. So what does everyone think about the SOLTEK SL-75FRN-L?

The A7N8X Deluxe didn't used to be quite so expensive, but the demand for this board has been so high that it has increased the price. A couple of months ago, this board was $139 from newegg shipped. Now it's $159 shipped!! It's not very often that motherboards actually increase in price, so you know it's gotta be a good one; and shesh, just look at how many reviews it has. :eek:

What extra goodies did you have in mind when you are building a non-overclocked PC for the parents? What am I missing?

Back