• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new gentoo kernel!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Most of you probably use the vanilla-sources kernel, but I use the gentoo-sources kernel on 9 duallies. Its got an option for 3.5GB of user-addressable ram, instead of the usual 3GB and that's why its a must for the company servers which all have 3, 3.5 or 4GB of ram. Gentoo-sources kernels are patched in other ways as well for optimization, but this also can make them less stable.

I've been stuck with 2.4.19 r5 for a while now since both r9 and r10 caused problems on the servers I manage. Well now gentoo's version of 2.4.20 r1 is out!! I'm just about to compile this bad boy for testing.

So how is it going with the tests?

Gentoo will be my next distro after I've at least mastered the Linux basics. By then 1.4 final should be out.

Let me know how the 2.4.20's work out for you Arkaine, I want to know if it's worth breaking my mad uptime for a new kernel. ;)

-DarkArctic

new kernel

Its pretty good actually. Some new features. But since these are servers, only minimal stuff gets used. ACPI finally works and that's about the only option I've changed. It worked before on 2.4.19, but would mess up the NIC and all the network services.

I found the gentoo-sources to be a bit more unstable than the vanilla-sources on my box, I just use vanilla.

kernels

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion. The servers have to have the gentoo kernel to support 3.5GB addressable ram, but all our workstations use the vanilla kernel.

Just emerge the vanilla sources and apply the patch for the 3.5/.5 memory split that is in gentoo-sources.

patch

I've been told that before, but I haven't had much luck locating that patch... :rolleyes: I'm sure its out there, cuz gentoo and redhat just can't be the only ones to offer it.

Take a look at /usr/share/doc/gentoo-sources-blah/patches.txt.gz and see if it is in there.

Back