• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP i think i just fried my comp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

im on my dad's laptop right now. i was testing out my rotron patriot out on my dell. i by accident touched the 12v with the ground and i saw a blue spark and then my comp turned off. my dad and i have been trying to find out what is fried. i tried swapping in my new power supply and the comp still wont turn on, and for some reason when i try to measure the voltage on my new psu nothin comes up. did i just fry my new psu, and my old comp? I NEED HELP NOW

i tried swapping in my new power supply and the comp still wont turn on, and for some reason when i try to measure the voltage on my new psu nothin comes up

JESUS I hope that was a PSU for a Dell machine, and not a standard ATX form factor! :eek:

12V line runs to the board I believe... you may have cooked it. :(

WAIT my comp just turned back on!! my dad suggested i hook it back up and leave it til tomorrow to fix, i plug the power cable back in and it turns back on. what the hell????

****..... about my new psu. is that fried because its not a dell psu? how can i tell??

Yep, Dell's PSUs have custom pin outs, so using a standard ATX with a Dell mobo or the other way around often results in toasted components.

If that's what happened, I would not have much hope for either the PSU or the mobo. Sorry :(

edit:
Possibly touching the 12v to the ground blew the circuit breaker inside the PSU? Maybe letting it sit allowed it to reset.

Try jumpering it like this;

plug.gif

If the fan fires up you'll know the PSU is OK. This works in a moajority of cases for ATX PSUs

titan showed me a way to jump it by bridging pins 14 and 15.... and it works. i am VERY lucky today. phew........

thank you guys you were all so much help!

Back