• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

could XP Home upgrade to Pro. using a full versoin Pro CD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i don't believe that it's possible. my friend karl got xp home on his e-machines computer and we have winxp pro available through school. we got the copy of xp pro and tried to install it by inserting the cd and booting from it, but it would only allow us to delete the partition, no upgrade option. i am not sure if it will or not when you go into the gui... one of the reasons he wanted to upgrade was because he couldn't boot into xp home (his stupid brother thought that he would be doing him a favor by cleaning out his windows directory :rolleyes: so i can't tell you if it works from there or not, but it didn't work from the command prompt. (btw, his e-machines didn't come with a winxp home cd... just their full restore cd which makes it a pain when trying to repair xp home without a home cd...

yes you can. i know this because i have done it, you just put in the CD and the thing pops up then go install upgrade and then go.... its saves all your setting too you MIGHT have to reinstall a driver or 2 though:D

CrashOveride said:
yes you can. i know this because i have done it, you just put in the CD and the thing pops up then go install upgrade and then go.... its saves all your setting too you MIGHT have to reinstall a driver or 2 though:D

ah, well there is the answer to the part i couldn't tell ya about... :) good luck with your upgrade.

LandShark said:
brought a laptop w/ XP Home installed. and i wondering could i use a "full version" (not upgrade version) of XP Pro to upgrade it to Pro??

Absolutely!! Just put in the CD while in windows and tell it to install windows then choose "Upgrade (reccomended)" from the options you are presented with. I've done it, it works with no problemo. :)

LawyerLynn said:

put the CD while in the windows GUI, don't boot from the CD.

that's what i would suggest (as i had problems booting from the cd to upgrade from home to pro on my friend karl's computer; but that could be because it had all the oem stuff... who knows) sounds like from the gui is the best bet... have fun :)

What kind of deals do colleges give? I know you can get Windows and Office and stuff for all of like 5 to 15 bucks. Is that deal across the line, or does that deal only exist with certain products? I mean, if I had a Mac and I wanted FinalCutPro, do they offer that kind of discount for that as well? I'll be in college soon, so I was just wondering what to expect. I love cheap. Didn't mean to jack anybody's thread, here, but it does appear that the problem was solved.

Z

zachj said:
What kind of deals do colleges give? I know you can get Windows and Office and stuff for all of like 5 to 15 bucks. Is that deal across the line, or does that deal only exist with certain products? I mean, if I had a Mac and I wanted FinalCutPro, do they offer that kind of discount for that as well? I'll be in college soon, so I was just wondering what to expect. I love cheap. Didn't mean to jack anybody's thread, here, but it does appear that the problem was solved.

Z

for me, i get microsoft products for $5 (select products of course) and visual studio.net is $10... we also have a huge discount on macromedia products... but it all depends on your school... any way, it's a great deal

mbentley said:

for me, i get microsoft products for $5 (select products of course) and visual studio.net is $10... we also have a huge discount on macromedia products... but it all depends on your school... any way, it's a great deal

lucky you you "poor college student" (the rank...):D

Back