• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It won't Shut Down!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bensonjv

Is my Antec 550 broke????? Is my True Power lying???

PSU won't cut power on 'shutdown'
I'm inclined to think this a PSU relay problem. The PSU operated normally until recently. However, If it is, I'm unsure how to repair.

Please tell me what's wrong and that it is an easy fix.:)

Thanks.

Background: I installed an Antec True Power 550w PSU a few weeks ago. All was ok until recently. Upon installation, I did nothing other than install the PSU. I did not disconnect anything except PSU connectors. I have not modded the PSU in any way. All other operation is normal.

When 'Shutdown' is selected in Windows, the OS closes like it should but the PC itself never quits running.:mad: Instead...
Monitors turn off as they should.
HDD lights glows steady.
CDROM light glows steady.
Reset button inoperative.
Front power button inoperative, even with 4-6 second hold.
Rear power switch on PSU will cut power.

The only way to get it out of this zombie state is to pull the cord from the PSU or to toggle the power switch. However, when the power switch is swithced back to 'on', the PC turns-on. It does not wait for me to push the power buttn like it used to.

I tried pulling the power from the PSU for some time to try to get things to reset. No dice.

I checked for H20 spillage but all is intact. No leaks.

///////////////////////////////////////

AIUHB 0302 2100+ on 8RDA+(1.2)
2 x 512MB PC2100 Mushkin Hi-perf DDR
Antec True Power 550
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128
XP Home
H20 cooled CPU and NB. Passive cool SB.

Last edited:
Whoops i mean turn it ON in bios!!! Oh yeah and you can force shutdown by holding the power button on the front of your case for approx 5 seconds.

Update: I'm sitting here playing and then the PC just cuts out - except for the LAN light on the MB and the power light on the front of the case.

Now this is getting creepy.

Ok, I flipped the power switch on the back and pulled the plug for a minute or more. I rechecked for water or gremlins and found none. Plugged back in, flipped the switch on the PSU. No start. That's good - its supposed to wait for me to hit the power button on the front. But recently it had just decided to anticipate the command.

Immediately went to the Bios to check the Soft-off setting. I changed it from 'instant-off' to 'Delay 4 sec'. I don't recall changing that setting since installing this PSU. I also don't understand why this would have an effect either way. Either I have to hold it for 4 seconds or I have to push it once.

It seems to be operating ok now. It will respond to shutting down normally. I have not used the force-off by holding the power button yet. I would rather not force a shut down if its not absolutely necessary. But alas, I am using Win-Dohs so I'll need to correct a lock-up soon enough.

I'll post again if the gremlins come back but hopefully this is it.

Thanks.

"Rear power switch on PSU will cut power."
That is the circuit breaker.
Disconnect PSU from mobo, then flip the circuit breaker to on.
If it runs, the PSU is at fault.
If not, it is the mobo or a configuration problem.

Look at what you have set in power options (in my computer?)
Reset the bios to default unless you have lots of overclocking tweaks set up.
Reseat your ATX connector.

I'm so happy that nothing bad has happened to my computer. Knock on wood!

Re: Is my Antec 550 broke????? Is my True Power lying???

bensonjv said:
PSU won't cut power on 'shutdown'
I'm inclined to think this a PSU relay problem. The PSU operated normally until recently. However, If it is, I'm unsure how to repair.

Please tell me what's wrong and that it is an easy fix.:)

Thanks.

Background: I installed an Antec True Power 550w PSU a few weeks ago. All was ok until recently. Upon installation, I did nothing other than install the PSU. I did not disconnect anything except PSU connectors. I have not modded the PSU in any way. All other operation is normal.

When 'Shutdown' is selected in Windows, the OS closes like it should but the PC itself never quits running.:mad: Instead...
Monitors turn off as they should.
HDD lights glows steady.
CDROM light glows steady.
Reset button inoperative.
Front power button inoperative, even with 4-6 second hold.
Rear power switch on PSU will cut power.

The only way to get it out of this zombie state is to pull the cord from the PSU or to toggle the power switch. However, when the power switch is swithced back to 'on', the PC turns-on. It does not wait for me to push the power buttn like it used to.

I tried pulling the power from the PSU for some time to try to get things to reset. No dice.

I checked for H20 spillage but all is intact. No leaks.

///////////////////////////////////////

AIUHB 0302 2100+ on 8RDA+(1.2)
2 x 512MB PC2100 Mushkin Hi-perf DDR
Antec True Power 550
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128
XP Home
H20 cooled CPU and NB. Passive cool SB.
is there a revision 1.2 epox?

star882 said:
"Rear power switch on PSU will cut power."
That is the circuit breaker.
Disconnect PSU from mobo, then flip the circuit breaker to on.
If it runs, the PSU is at fault.
If not, it is the mobo or a configuration problem.

I did this and it ran. :bang head

Chapter closed. RMA'd the PSU to Antec. While I hated to wait for it, I received a new one in about two weeks. Works fine now.

I have the opposite problem: sometimes when idle, my computer turn off instaneously, and I cannot turn it on again. I have to turn off the PSU completely (no LED light on mobo), and with quick hands, I turn on the PSU and press the switch on button within second. What do you think?

Is it possible that my 475watts PSU is too powerful for my barebone system (1 mobo & P4 + 1 vga + 2 pci + 1 cdrw + 1 hdd) ? the voltage lines is good according to ASUS Probe: 3.38V, 5.08V, 12.05V

My guess is no if your PSU is regulating correctly. With what you say your system is comprised of, you could run a 300W or a 500+W and it should make no difference.

With my 550, I was running MB + 2100+, 2-HDDs, Radeon 9500, 1-80mm fan and 1-120mm fan. Since I got the replacement PSU, things have run fine.

Disclaimer: Although, it's been a few years since I took my electronics classes.

Last edited:
Back