• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

for those with 1700+xp and A7N8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

hi
here is my specs:

A7N8X, non deluxe
1700+xp 0307
80GB WD SE
512 of PC2700 samsung and 512 of PC3500 OCZ
Radeon 8500LE
450W PSU
Sk-7 with Tornado fan

I done testing with PC2700 and the highest I got was around
11.5 x 185 @ 2127mhz 1.7V, aggressive timing .2.5T
and the highest fsb I can get *working on this sammy was 190 but with lower multiplier..so the highest speed was 2127mhz by sammy

now I just got the PC3500 OCZ
and was disappointed
I having hard time to post 200fbs or above, even at low multiplier

I have tried to match the 11.5 x 185 but cannot POST :(
the highest I can get ia 11.5 x 180 @2074

so how would this happening ? PC2700 outperformance PC3500

what should I do to get this spec into 2.2ghz range ? or 2.2ghz range for 1700+xp is impossible ?

i know with the same speed mhz but if the higher FSb then your system ..faster so higher fsb would more preferable right ?

thank you in advance,
K

Okay you dont have to have a A7N8X nor 1700+xp to answer this.
should I try harder with this pc3500 OCZ or just send back and stay with pc2700

Have you tried playing around with the vdimm voltage? I'm surprised that the OCZ craps out that early, but I guess it's possible that you got a bad stick.

I don't know much about those 0307s, but my 0302 only gets to about 2.1GHz with 1.85v. Some people get to the 2.2 - 2.3GHz range easily, seems to vary a bit with these.

Also, can you tell us if you have access to the higher multipliers (above 12.5) with that board?

I get 12.5 as max and all lower multipler on this A7N8X.
the max I have done is 1.7V, havent passed that mark yet, ( i have fried 2 cpus so far with other boards so kind of scary now ) because I afraid my hsf ( SK-7 wit tornado) not good enough for anything higher 1.7V ...this board cannot read the temp right w/ mbm5 so iam just guessing.
$40 extra for the pc3500 and get less result than the pc2700.

Yes but I meant did you play around with the memory voltage yet? I heard that some of those higher rated sticks of memory actually require higher voltage to work at those speeds. There's an article by Ed on the front page on this.

BTW, I have read in some threads that with another bios version that you have access to all multipliers with that board.

You can get all higher multipliers with Uber bios.
Kevin: 2.1GHz is not bad at all. Your cpu may be topped at that speed. Remember that luck plays big role in OC. My crapy JIUCB won't even pass 1850Mhz no matter what I tried.

if you meant the mod on the mainboard so you can increase V so memory can pass the 200 barrier then i dont think i can accomplish that. dont have the tool and look complicated lol
i will try the uber bios and see
can someone give me the link to that uber bios.

yea 2.1ghz is consider a big gain from 1.47..i just want to max out this 1700+xp before try on the next 2100+

I didn't realize that it required a mod on that board. There are no voltage adjustments for the memory in the bios? I thought that this was standard on all Asus boards for sometime now.

RMA that crap OCZ. My Corsair pc2700 can run 200fsb with cas2.5
3-3-6. I read some review on Crucial 2700, they claim it can run 200fsb . My crucial 2100 can even run at 190 fsb. So I believe Crucial makes good ram.

umm there is ? because there was a big thread for hard mod this board so i thought that was the only way to go
if there is a way to adjust then i must be a bum
i will check it later tonight when i got home LOL
thnx captainH

Haha, well I just check Anand's review of the A7N8X (Dec. 2002 nForce2 round up) and it says that you could adjust the vdimm up to 2.8v. Could be different in different bios versions but I wouldn't expect it to be taken out.

linlibj said:
RMA that crap OCZ. My Corsair pc2700 can run 200fsb with cas2.5
3-3-6. I read some review on Crucial 2700, they claim it can run 200fsb . My crucial 2100 can even run at 190 fsb. So I believe Crucial makes good ram.

wow we have the same setup, except for the ram , i also running the r8500LE . btw did you overclock your vcard ?
after few more tries if it is the ram then I will get either of those :
1) Corsair CMX512-2700C2 512MB DDR333 PC2700 64Mx64 184 DIMM CAS 2 32Mx8 DRAMs Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail $97
2) Kingston HyperX 2700/512 512MB DDR333 PC2700 Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail $85
what do you think ?

Oh I see what you're talking about. Some nForce2 boards like the Abit NF7 come with the ability to adjust the chipset voltage in the bios, but the A7N8X does not. The mod is done so you can increase the voltage to the chipset, allowing it to run at a higher fsb and memory clock.

From the looks of the thread, you need to do that in order to run at bus speeds of around 200MHz or more. It would not help you at 180 though, as you know that you can get up to at least 185 without any extra voltage to the chipset, so it must be something to do with the OCZ memory at 180 that is holding you back. Maybe a little extra vdimm voltage to the memory (which can be done in the bios) will help this.

Either way though, PC3500 memory should not have trouble exceeding bus speeds of 180, so I would probably return it or RMA it as suggested above.

yes i agree
since I got this from newegg I believe this ram can do at least 200fsb no problem. May be like you suggest it needs more voltage because with pc2700 samsung I can do better than this ram and of course default voltage .
now just matter of finding that uber bios and download it

Back