• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning in lower temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zindane18

Just a quick question...I know burning allows you to run higher fsb and less vcore. I have had my burin run for about 9 hours. My idle temp used to be at 47c and now it dropped to 45c..i mean im happy just curious thats all.

Burning in (or "conditioning") needs to be done right to see any effect...

Highest voltage you can run based on your cooling, LOWEST clock frequency (slowest you can get the cpu to run) for 24-72 hours (depending on how long you can tolerate a slow PC ;) ).

It shouldn't have any bearing on the temps the cpu will run, but it is supposed to make the cpu 'more efficient', which why people see the voltage/bus speed decrease/increases.

I dont want to discourage you but , burning in is just a worst of time.and money.....it just makes yu feel good about your setup, thats it and no benefits.......I am not trying to flame you....sorry if I sound rude :D

mata2974 said:
I dont want to discourage you but , burning in is just a worst of time.and money.....it just makes yu feel good about your setup, thats it and no benefits.......I am not trying to flame you....sorry if I sound rude :D

That's fine to disagree, but understand that it's been mine and several other member's experiences that this does indeed work. It isn't intended to create an "uber-chip", but it COULD get you some extra headroom, and could benefit a marginal overclock. No one's laying out extra cash here, it's just a suggestion (since you have the hardware anyways, it only costs a little sluggishness in using a slow PC for a day+).

Im not saying or nesscary believing that Burning in a CPU is the best thing in the world...Its not like Im expecting an extra 300 mhz or anything....but I have noticed something.
I have burned my chip for about 12 hours total so far. 9 Hours today at 1.8 Volts 12.5 x 180. Before I burned my temps at 1.8 were around 47c idle 53.5 under load. After burning today.... Idle temp 43c 50 under load. so all I can say is I am becoming a believer!! I hevnt tried going about 2250 becuase of instabily, but we will soon find out what happens!

sorry i meant about=above

Also I would like to mention something else to all non believers...I was only stable 2200 when I got this chip..Just after 3 hours of burning I was able to run stable and burn at 2250...its only 50 mhz..but hey...its still 50 mhz. lol

But I think you're missing the point of burning in. The idea is to severely UNDERCLOCK the cpu, like 5x100 or 5x133 if you can do that, with as voltage as high as you can get it while not PHYSICALLY cooking your chip. (keep an eye out on temperatures, make sure nothing alarming crops up.)

Doing this for 1 - 3 days may net you more frequency headroom (by allowing poor transistors to improve and switch faster) or less voltage for a given overclock (by making the processor more efficient via the same deal.)

I.E., if a burn-in goes well, some of the poorer transistors in the core that couldn't switch fast enough or couldn't store enough charge in the reduced-due-to-overclock-time to read a '1' bit now can.

zindane18 said:
I have a question...when I burning in, should I set the volt as high as possible...right now Im at 1.90 and im only at 39c idle.

That's a pretty high idle temp, your voltage is probably fine... but you really need the proc to be running the SLOWEST possible... I mean, like it's been said a few times now, annoyingly slow.

by allowing poor transistors to improve and switch faster or less voltage for a given overclock (by making the processor more efficient via the same deal.)
...."..Got Milk.." to prove that statement, any reference to a scientific journal? what are your source Dude, I would like to read that too. LOL:santa:

mata2974 said:
...."..Got Milk.." to prove that statement, any reference to a scientific journal? what are your source Dude, I would like to read that too. LOL:santa:
See the link I provided in previous post - not proven but not disproven either.............

Back