• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ocz Dual Channel Pc3500 (yes Or No)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

What’s everyone’s opinion on OCZ PC3500 OCZ433512ELDCK Dual Channel memory? I need to buy some memory and it’s either going to be Kingston HyperX 3500 or the OCZ. Need some input.

DodgeViper said:
What’s everyone’s opinion on OCZ PC3500 OCZ433512ELDCK Dual Channel memory? I need to buy some memory and it’s either going to be Kingston HyperX 3500 or the OCZ. Need some input.
Dodge I have the OCZ EL 3500 and it is good stuff... I have had it to 225FSB dual sync, but, I have also had my Twinmos at the same speed. The Twinmos with the 5ns Winbond chips is what Corsair uses in the 3500C2... and it is only $76 for 256MB. You can get the Twinmos here: http://store.yahoo.com/memx/gn256pc3200.html Both of these memory's perform very similarly, so it is really up to you. I have also heard good things about the HyperX but it is $$$ isn't it? The Twinmos has no heatspreaders (doesn't seem to need it either) and the Twinmos is SINGLE SIDED which some say is much better than double sided for running dual channel. The other thing is that in Sandra, and the same FSB and same timings the Twinmos gets BETTER scores than the OCZ or the Corsair I had, go figure... Here are some benchies with the OCZ:

211.gif

221.gif

Originally posted by hitechjb1

I got a stick of OCZ 3500C2 EL memory on the basis that it is using 4.5 ns chip, and many good reviews such as

TheTechZone (it is also on googlegear's ordering web page link)
x-2.5-3-3CL @ DDR 454 MHz
x-2.5-2-3CL @ DDR 494 MHz
Hexas.net
7-2-2-2CL @ DDR 452 MHz
7-3-3-2CL @ DDR 470 MHz
7-3-3-2.5CL @ DDR 480 MHz
The PC3200/3500 Shootout in OCPrices (up to DDR 490 MHz)

The OCZ 3500C2 EL is spec at 8-4-4-2CL DDR 434 MHz @ 2.5V on many review and reseller sites.

I tested the stick on an A7N8X DLX, to my surprise, I can only get the following:

1. At stock speed DDR 434 MHz, 8-4-4 2CL timing, computer boots but Windows XP crashes during boot, at max stock voltage 2.8 V

2. I can only get the memory stick to work stable at 210 MHz 6-3-3-2 (@ 2.8V) so that XP can boot and run programs without crashing.

3. Between 210 and 217 MHz memory speed (@ 2.8V), the computer boots and XP boots, but the system is unstable and crashes within few minutes of running programs.

The motherboard has been tested independently that it can run up to FSB 230+ MHz, and the CPU is running 100 MHz below its maximum clock rate, so FSB and CPU are not the limiting factors.

So my conclusion is that either I get a bad memory stick that cannot even run at stock spec. or the QC of the OCZ sticks are not as rigorous as like Corsair, ... So some reviewers can get speed up to DDR 480-490 MHz, and some sticks are below spec.

Further, according to the memory spec read from SiSoft Sandra 2003 (owners of OCZ 3500C2 EL, pls try also):

Motherboard Information > Memory Module(s)
Memory Module 1 : 256MB 8x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3500U-2544-700 (CL2.5 upto 217MHz) (CL2 upto 133MHz)

So it said CL2.5 to 217MHz instead of CL2 !!! CL2 is published in many review and reseller web sites, including OCZtechnology site. So I don't know how to resolve such key discrepancy.

Unless you plan to modify the default Vmem to > 2.8V, there is no head room to go higher than spec. freq. My OCZ run 6 MHz below spec at 2.8 V.

From my experience of that stick, it is OK (since it can run @211 MHz at 6-3-3-2 @2.8V) but not great (cannot push higher due to default 2.8V Vmem, and below spec).

Last edited:
Most people seem to overlook these type of memory mdules are most suitable for a P4 system than an AMD because of the chipset limits when overclokeing the ram and attempting to run it sync unless you volt modded the board. The chances of reaching those speeds, with them affecting system reponse is low on an AMD because you can only go so high FSB on the CPU itself.

You know, on an AMD system, all it will need is a single stick of PC3500. That'll take up to about 213 fsb.

Dual Channel PC3500 is theoretically PC7000. At 200fsb, the most an AMD will possibly use is PC3200. Dual Channel is only really beneficial to Intels. Or AMD's if you're using integrated video.

Mike360000

You might want to leave Mushkin out in comparing to OCZ as it is worse than OCZ an can't even compete with it. You may say how bad the OCZ is but it is much better by a long shot than my Mushkin PC3200. There is no comparison there, I have 2-256 of Corsair PC3200, OCZ PC3200 an Mushkin PC3200. The Mushkin is by far the worst my 256 meg stick of Samsung PC2700 put it to shame. The Corsair is the best but the OCZ is right close the only thing different at 200fsb with same mem timing is the OCZ takes .1v more which is not much. Maybe I was a fool but I can't condem something that works. The Mushkin I can condem as it is pure garbage.

Actually they are pretty good about RMAing their memory. I had their PC2700 REV 3.2 and it worked excellent with my Abit KX7-333R board. It had a problem with my new Nforce2 board as a lot of memory does have problems with the Nforce 2. Asus screwed up their first Bios release and it didn't work well with some Winbond chips. I told them I wasn't totally happy with it and an RMA was no problem for them. They upgraded me to 2 sticks of the new PC3200 EL Dual channel and I couldn't be happier. They really tried to help me out in the customer service department as well. They were very helpful and answered every question or email I sent them and very quickly. I would buy OCZ again any time.

Anybody have any input or have read any reviews on,

GL3500PU - GeIL PC3500 433MHz DDR ULTRA Platinum Series

Hand Picked 4.5ns GEIL GL2000 Chips

Tin Coated Platinum Copper Heat Spreader

Lifetime Warranty

6 Layer Ultra Low Noise Shilded PCB

DodgeViper said:
Anybody have any input or have read any reviews on,

GL3500PU - GeIL PC3500 433MHz DDR ULTRA Platinum Series

Hand Picked 4.5ns GEIL GL2000 Chips

Tin Coated Platinum Copper Heat Spreader

Lifetime Warranty

6 Layer Ultra Low Noise Shilded PCB

Plenty of good reviews on it. Just do a search.
BTW Geil is from the same fine folks who brought you OCZ ram.

Mike

Mike360000 said:

Plenty of good reviews on it. Just do a search.
BTW Geil is from the same fine folks who brought you OCZ ram.

Mike
Uhhh, this is incorrect, they are different companies.

Anyway, here is a side by side comparo of OCZ EL 3500 and TwinMos with 5ns Winbond Chips. Both tests were run at the same speed, 12 x 211 with the same timings, 5-2-2-2. You decide. And FWIW, the TwinMos is single sided, which some say works 'better' in dual channel mode, who knows, both memories top out at the same speed, I think the chipset is the weak point here, even with the VDD mod.

OCZ:
211.gif

TwinMos:
211twinmos.gif

Well I decided I am going to give OCZ a chance to prove them self to me. I bought two sticks of OCZ OCZ433512ELDCK Dual Channel Memory.

Ludio said:

I hope you have a good experience with the ram. I hope to get mine next month. I to am to take my chances with it. Please report back with your thoughts and quality of the ram you recieved.

And I will be able to give some feedback by weekdn, my Dads flight from Palm Springs to Vancouver was delayeed due to sh*tty weather so he gets here tommorrow. The I get my new ram

Just gotta figure out some of the settings on my 8RDA+ and we will see if I made a good memory choice. I am pretty sure it will work out fine, OCZ PC3500 Dual channel!! and raid 0 yeeee hawww LOL feeling like a real kid right now hehehe

cisco kid

I ended up buying Twinmos memory. Currently running at 200@13, memory timing 6-2-2-2. Without doing the V mod 200 is my limit. I dropped down the multi and tried to raise the FSB over 200, but I get reboot after reboot. The single side memory has Winbond chips.

I had bought the Dual Channel OCZ from a vender on Ebay and got it for $172.50 paid for it and the guy decline my payment through PayPal because I did not have a confirmed address. If you do not keep a credit card on file with PayPal you do not have a confirmed address. So I bought twinmos instead.

O, ok I hate that they have that policy even though its good if you are trying to steal someones money. But the Twinmos seems to be doing you good so im glad everything worked out at the end.

I have 2x512mb OCZ PC3200, great stuff. Runs 210 @ 6-2-2-2, i havent tried to push it with lower timings yet.

buy the ocz pc3500el you will not be unhappy, and if you are do a vdd mod that will cheer you up :) 225+ fsb

Back