• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dont mind this question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With retail you usually get more goodies ( ie: the fan for a CPU, more software for a video card). What you might not know is that you might get a shorter warranty on an OEM. Some CPU's warranties go from a year to a month when U buy the OEM. Always read everything or ask when buying OEM.

Retail is how a product is made for public. As in it has box and everythign else.

OEM is simply the product itself and all the drivers. OEM is for system builders.. for example when you buy a pre-built PC, all the components inside are OEM. Obviously everyone here prefers OEM since its about 5-10% cheaper.

Depends on what you mean.

If you mean supplying more voltage than a fan is intended for. Thereby, increasing the speed. That is a "bad" thing, as it will burn up the fan.

If, on the other hand, you mean by using a rheostat to reduce the max speed of a fan. I don't see any immediate benefits aside from decreased noise and possibly extending the life of the ball-bearings.

Granted, we're talking about fans here. The MTBF is made with the understanding the fan will run at the rated speed.

Edit: Forgot to ask what application these fans are intended. If its for video card use, I would be VERY careful about reducing the stock speed of the fans.

Last edited:
CPU Fan

im using MBM5 to increase the CPU fan since its temp is constantly 41-48 degrees celcius which i find pretty high. it raises from like 1200rpm to 2600rpm should i keep it fast or leave it normal?

I don't see a problem with increasing the fan's RPMs in the situation you're in.

Back