• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to curtail the idle chat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richard

This is not a general chat forum, nor is it a chance to discuss which video card you "like" more than another.

I like to talk about hardware as much as the next person, but the back and forth squabbling about which company is better has got to stop. It's getting old - fast.

If someone asks a question about whether they should purchase a ti4200 or a radeon 9500. There are far better replies than, "don't buy that, because it sucks."

Let's try to be a little more helpful and objective with our responses. Totally opinionated replies are not beneficial to this forum.

i dont know what threads you have been reading, but whenever i post a reply to a question like that, i back up my reasoning with hard facts. but i agree with you totally. ty and put your fanboy-ism aside and educate potential buyers with whats best for them.

I agree with you here guys. It's difficult sometimes for posters (myself included) to keep from veering off into fan-boy land. People often don't take the time to objectively read posts and then post stuff like 'the RadForceFX97 sucks' without any reasoning why.

Richard: how's the weather down there in Baton Rouge? (Sorry, I know this is not a chat forum :) )

It's also time to be clear about what you think and what you know. If I'm not sure about something I try to state that clearly. I see posts trying to prove a point with a guess.

I would add to this that there has been a rather serious increase in the amount of flaming in this forum. Such that there has been ongoing discussions about it.

Basically, if you are flaming here, or indeed anywhere in the forums, expect the action to be more serious than previously.

If you dont agree with someone, thats OK, but be objective about it. Don't get personal. If you get worked up about a thread, dont post. Posting:

xxx is better than xxx easily. Dont be such a moron and look at the facts before posting, idiot. Go stick your dunce cap back on.

Is not nice, not friendly, not helpful and we dont need it here.

I understand that sometimes posts can be misinterpreted, so it would be in everyones interest to be as clear as possible.

If someone flames you, or otherwise breaks the rules, dont get worked up and flame back. Please use the 'Report to Mod' button.

This forum is for talking about video cards... shouldn't this have been posted in General or Gripes and Moans? :)

I don't like the fanboy wars but I do see a lot of people trying to defend the FX and others trying take up the opposite side of the argument. I see people say that the FX Flow is 75dBa but that doesn't matter because the 9700 Pro fan is 68dBa...it's not, its as loud as your average northbridge fan (read darn near silent). Ive seen at least 3 or 4 threads saying that it was nVidia's plan to make the FX late and on par with the 9700 Pro so that ATi would release its r350 and nVidia could trump it. There are also many threads questioning "Is this the end of nVidia" which is again fanboy bait and completly unfounded.

What do you do? Let the fanboys post their 'conspiracy theories' and tell the "other side's" fanboys not to reply or tell the thread starter not to post 'fanboy war bait'?

You have to think of the newbs, when they read the FX Flow isn't that loud and pop that card in their Dell only to discover they can hear it over their vaccuum (EXAGERATION - not to be taken to heart) they won't be too happy. When someone posts something that is blatently wrong is it better to correct them or leave it alone and have some newb read it and believe it?

Maybe the best way to handle all of this is to reopen debates, move all of the fanboy stuff in there as soon as it is discovered and put a big fat disclaimer on the 'new' debates that says it is for hardware debates only - no political debates. Then those who don't want to see it don't have to and those who feel compelled to take the bait have a place to do it.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to get rid of the fanboy wars but there will always be someone there to start it and there will always be someone there to debate the other side.

NOTE: To any who disagree with what I posted about any hardware or company don't bother trying to argue as I will not respond to it - Lets not let another innocent thread turn into a hardware debate. TIA

This is not intended to offend or cause trouble...just my thoughts:

Richard said:
This is not ... a chance to discuss which video card you "like" more than another.

What is this forum for? Tech support only?

I like to talk about hardware as much as the next person, but the back and forth squabbling about which company is better has got to stop. It's getting old - fast.

I agree, but when someone post's something completely unfounded and biased, what is to be done? Report to a moderator and have the thread deleted? Where is the line?

If someone asks a question about whether they should purchase a ti4200 or a radeon 9500. There are far better replies than, "don't buy that, because it sucks."

How about, "it sucks because..." ?:D

Let's try to be a little more helpful and objective with our responses. Totally opinionated replies are not beneficial to this forum.

You are asking for the moon.

DaddyB said:
This forum is for talking about video cards... shouldn't this have been posted in General or Gripes and Moans? :)

I don't like the fanboy wars but I do see a lot of people trying to defend the FX and others trying take up the opposite side of the argument. I see people say that the FX Flow is 75dBa but that doesn't matter because the 9700 Pro fan is 68dBa...it's not, its as loud as your average northbridge fan (read darn near silent). Ive seen at least 3 or 4 threads saying that it was nVidia's plan to make the FX late and on par with the 9700 Pro so that ATi would release its r350 and nVidia could trump it. There are also many threads questioning "Is this the end of nVidia" which is again fanboy bait and completly unfounded.

What do you do? Let the fanboys post their 'conspiracy theories' and tell the "other side's" fanboys not to reply or tell the thread starter not to post 'fanboy war bait'?

You have to think of the newbs, when they read the FX Flow isn't that loud and pop that card in their Dell only to discover they can hear it over their vaccuum (EXAGERATION - not to be taken to heart) they won't be too happy. When someone posts something that is blatently wrong is it better to correct them or leave it alone and have some newb read it and believe it?

Maybe the best way to handle all of this is to reopen debates, move all of the fanboy stuff in there as soon as it is discovered and put a big fat disclaimer on the 'new' debates that says it is for hardware debates only - no political debates. Then those who don't want to see it don't have to and those who feel compelled to take the bait have a place to do it.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to get rid of the fanboy wars but there will always be someone there to start it and there will always be someone there to debate the other side.

NOTE: To any who disagree with what I posted about any hardware or company don't bother trying to argue as I will not respond to it - Lets not let another innocent thread turn into a hardware debate. TIA

But you do not have to resort to personal attacks or flames. If it is kept at a level where the pluses and minuses of the cards are discussed with reasons why and proof to back up statements then iit can be OK. but the this sucks or this is better without any reasons or backing is worthless to anyone reading the threads. I really don't think you are giving newbies enough credit most can smell the BS a mile away and not to mention no one should buy a card on what they hear in one thread. Or even one forum for that matter.

DaddyB said:

My post was a fair warning to the members that read "this" forum. Since not everyone reads, Gripes and Moans, it was placed here. Yes I see the smiley.

I don't like the fanboy wars but I do see a lot of people trying to defend the FX and others trying take up the opposite side of the argument.

This is not an opportunity to argue. If you find misinformation, correct it in a succinct manner. Offer URLs to qualify your statements.

My advice is to NOT feed the trolls. If after you've given qualified statements correcting the erroneous remarks by the original poster; he or she decides to retaliate with flames. It is in your best interest to report the thread. Do NOT get caught up in some stupid argument. It will not be tolerated.

Anyone instigating a flame war will be dealt with.

Members should also lead by example. This is not like some other forums where anything goes. New members should not be swayed by who is the loudest and has the most backup. There's the truth and there's everything else. Keep the facts on your side and disagree in a civil manner.

Arguing for the sake of arguing will not be tolerated anywhere.

Richard said:

DaddyB said:

My post was a fair warning to the members that read "this" forum. Since not everyone reads, Gripes and Moans, it was placed here. Yes I see the smiley.

Glad you saw the smiley, that (obviously) was just a joke - it's ironic that you post a thread in VG+S cards about not posting stuff that is not related VG+S cards. I fully understand why it was done and would have done the same myself.

I agree with what both have seniors you have said, I was just saying that it's not all black and white - If everyone would follow what you are saying then the problems would disappear but there will always be that guy (not implicating any specific person, just that someone will always instigate and someone else will always 'bite' into it).

Flaming is certainly never necessary or appropriate. Lets just hope that more people will follow the ideas put forward in this thread and avoid the fanboy wars.

Back