• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffdaddy

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I was unable to find the info I needed in previous posts, so.... I have an HP Pavillion 360n with an Athlon XP 1900, 512mb ram, and a *cough* 200w *cough* power supply (I'll definitely build my next PC!). I recently swithced from a Geforce 3 video card to a Radeon 9500 128mb (non-pro). After installing all of the drivers, I was still getting artifacts when gaming. Also, after a while I got a few random reboots. Is my wimpy PSU the problem? Also, if I need to change it, do I need to get a particular kind? I don't know if it helps but here's the specs HP sent me on my PSU...

DC Voltage Current

+12V 4.0 A

+5V 25.0 A

+3.3V 16.0 A

-5V 0.3 A

-12V 0.5 A

I apologize if this is a foolish post, but I'm just now getting into computers. Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forums.
A 200W PSU is really insufficient to power an XP. Only problem I can see as far as upgrading, HPs sometimes have proprietary hardware designs. You'll want to make sure that a regular ATX formfactor PSU will fit into your rig. The specs they sent aren't much help. You'll need to determine if the basic screw pattern for the PSU is the same, and that it has a normal ATX connector.

Back