• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lian Li or _______ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

Looking for a case for my new project. (Rig2 in sig)

I want an aluminum case and prefer it to not have a psu. i would like to purchase a seperate psu and dont want the added cost of a built in psu mounting on me.

I'm currently looking at the Lian Li PC7 (link) as my case. I'm just wondering if there are alternatives with similar build quality and features.

apparently Lian Li is the god of all things having to do with cases. this one is currently 107 at newegg with free shipping. a comparable case (link) is 90 but 12 shipping. it has alot more connections on the front but I don't recognize the brand name.

any suggestions?

i prefer a full tower or taller midtower.

also is there a difference between the PC-7 USB2 and the PC-7USB2 4F? i can't find the difference but the model is different so something must be different.

thanks.

edit: also taking suggestions for psu's 400W+

Maxvla said:
apparently Lian Li is the god of all things having to do with cases.

Everyone I know who has never had a Cooler Master always says that. ;)

Seriously, I like Lian Li's a lot. I only chose Cooler Master for my most recent case because I liked the styling better. Lian-Li's do cost less, however, and the quality is every bit as good as Cooler Master's.

If you're buying a Lian Li, I would suggest looking closely at one of the Long models. That extra couple of inches makes a nice difference when working inside the case.

For a PSU, I like the PCP&C Silencer 400 or Turbo Cool 425 if you are budgeting more than $100, or the Sparkle/FSP 400 if you need to stay under a c-note.

BHD

Last edited:
I really like my Lian Li but I Just purchased a chenming full tower atx601 i think the model is. Its very light weight, and I was quite impressed with it.

It cost me 125 canadian vs the 260 canadian I paid for my Lian Li, and it is full tower, has removeable hd racks, comes with 3 80mm fans and another two fan mounts for adding additional ones, and it has a window plus two usb ports and a ieee 1394 port on the front. I am sure the cooling will be just as good. I still like Lian Li though, it would have been a consideration if my budget wasnt so tight for this pc. The chenming-x v2.0s have also come out, although I dont like the shape on the front door, and I found it was cheaper in my case to by a cathode and the version 1 as opposed to the version 2 with the LED fans.

Linkage:

Version 1:
http://store6.yimg.com/I/svcompucycle_1731_4528119
http://pccanada.com/inventory.asp?cat=cases

Version2:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...54-04.JPG/11-125-154-05.JPG/11-125-154-06.JPG

Out of those two Lian-Li's I would go for the First one, I think it looks nicer. I have one of the longer models (PC-82) and I really like it, and I like the dark grey aluminum trim around the bays.

wow no offense but coolermaster cases are straight ugly!

the only one that looks remotely ok is 170+

and i think i will go with the sparkle 400. seems to be the best for the money.

thanks for the input :)

subconcept said:
already have a chieftec style case, albeit a steel one. looking for something different.

thanks though :D

I Just ordered a Clear Acylic Akasa case from overclockers.co.uk and it is looks absolutely amazing.

I havn't got the components in it yet so I don't know how heavy it is (Or what the heat is like) but the case itself is very well designed and high-quality.

Maxvla said:
Looking for a case for my new project. (Rig2 in sig)

CodeGen S-101 for $115 at Newegg. More room than you could ever need and built very solidly.

Mine arrives Monday, along with my Antec 550PSU (to go with my Enermax 431).

11-182-005-21.JPG

i got me a lian-li case. it's all aluminum and real pretty with its shiny exterier, rounded off edges and window. it's not big enough for any water-cooling set up however but i love it. it also comes with 4 fans pre-installed... my personal fave

ya that there is a nice case. although i'm not sure i like the front intake vents....they look awfully cartoonish. the USB 2.0 and 1394 ports are real nice though. a great price too!

I think lian li's style is too plain and too generic. CM ones are built with higher quality and better finish. Not mention the style is more appealing to me.

hmm. that xoxide case looks very interesting.

thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D

I have a Lian Li 7usb and love it. Roomy. light. Excellent quality. Costly as well. THere are deals out there, just have to look. As for PSU, my recommendation is Antec Truepower. They have very good reliability history.

Never really liked the lian-li cases, they are very exensive and have pretty crappy airflow. They look nice, but you have to spend even more money modding them to get the drives to match.

the codegen is a very nice case. I think you can get it for $80 from an e-bay store. That cheiftech/antec cae looks pretty sweet. Plenty of un-obstructed airflow in the front of the case, thats what you need to be looking out for.

i went with the xoxide case to help offset the cost of the water setup i'm doing.

looks like a nice case. the intakes on the front are nice and low restrictive.

i'm going to stealth the drives using the drive bay covers. so no painting for me.

Back