• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7T Turbo-R, Duron 800 O/C problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjo

I'm having problems overclocking my retail duron800 with my MSI K7T board. I bought a conductive pen, and I unlocked the bridges while using a magnifying glass.

However, when I try to change the multiplier in the bios, I get strange things happening.

Hardware:
MSI K7T-Turbo-RAID (2.8 bios)
Duron800 AKCA 0114CPEW
256MB PC-133 SDRAM

BIOS settings:

CPU Vcore Select: Default
CPU Vio Select: 3.3V
Auto detect DIMM/PCI Clk: Enabled
Spread spectrum Modulated: Enabled
Clock by Slight Adjust: 100
CPU Clock Ratio: Default

Ok, so the above gives me an 800 Duron.

Here is what I get when I change the "CPU clock ratio":

8.0 -> no post
8.5 -> no post
9.0 -> 504MHz
9.5 -> 550MHz

I didn't go higher. I have no idea if this is a motherboard issue, or perhaps AMD has finally caught on to all of the OC'ing after people unlock the L1 bridges
Perhaps I need to change something in my bios?

Help

Well I have that same board but w/o raid. When you get those very low numbers, like at 9x you get 504. It is a inherent problem with MSI motherboards, you have to keep those settings and then powerdown the system and shut the powersupply down, wait a mimute and then power up again. If you do this you should get 900 mhz with 9x100mhz. Mine says 1250mhx sometimes when it actually is 1550mhz. I just power-down and all is better. I hope this helps. If you have any more question feel free to e-mail me.

You are totally right! I just tried powering it off a few times, and it finally came back at 900MHz. I will try pumping it up further later. I want to see the temps at 900MHz for bit. Do you think that this is a BIOS issue with MSI, or just flakey engineering?

I have the non raid as well and it is a power down thing. mine is at 1000 right now and I have the Duron 800.

Wonderful processor Mobo combo for the price as well I might say.

N3D2000 (Jul 15, 2001 04:11 a.m.):
I have the non raid as well and it is a power down thing. mine is at 1000 right now and I have the Duron 800.

Wonderful processor Mobo combo for the price as well I might say.

What are your bios settings? Are you using 1.60V? Have you tried OC'ing the FSB to 133?

cjo (Jul 14, 2001 08:54 a.m.):
You are totally right! I just tried powering it off a few times, and it finally came back at 900MHz. I will try pumping it up further later. I want to see the temps at 900MHz for bit. Do you think that this is a BIOS issue with MSI, or just flakey engineering?

Just a quirky thing that nobody can explain, it is a small price to pay for such a fine board.

cjo (Jul 13, 2001 06:34 p.m.):
I'm having problems overclocking my retail duron800 with my MSI K7T board. I bought a conductive pen, and I unlocked the bridges while using a magnifying glass.

However, when I try to change the multiplier in the bios, I get strange things happening.

Hardware:
MSI K7T-Turbo-RAID (2.8 bios)
Duron800 AKCA 0114CPEW
256MB PC-133 SDRAM

BIOS settings:

CPU Vcore Select: Default
CPU Vio Select: 3.3V
Clock by Slight Adjust: 100
CPU Clock Ratio: Default

Ok, so the above gives me an 800 Duron.

Here is what I get when I change the "CPU clock ratio":

8.0 -> no post
8.5 -> no post
9.0 -> 504MHz
9.5 -> 550MHz

I didn't go higher. I have no idea if this is a motherboard issue, or perhaps AMD has finally caught on to all of the OC'ing after people unlock the L1 bridges
Perhaps I need to change something in my bios?

Help

Disable both these:

TranceBear (Jul 15, 2001 08:22 p.m.):
cjo (Jul 13, 2001 06:34 p.m.):

Disable both these:

What exactly do those setttings do?

I just tried OC'ing my FSB to 133, but the machine wouldn't POST. Looks like I'm going to have to drop the default multiplier in my 800 to a 7.0 (700) via the L6 bridges. Only requires closing one bridge.

Back