• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem problems - 56k working at .00056k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Admiral Falcon

Registered
I've had this problem for exactly one week now, far too long for it to be an ISP server error. My modem will connect to the internet, it reports usually a 46k connection speed, but it loads incredibly s-l-o-o-o-o-o-w-ly. Netscape routinely reports something like, "15% of 4k (@ 49 bytes/sec)" It took three minutes just to load this message-post page.

I've tried everything I can think of - software flow control, hardware flow control, changing recieve buffer size, connection speed, using different dial-up numbers. Even after reinstalling Windows ME, the problem still persists. Is it a hardware problem? The modem was working just fine up until a week ago.

I'm using a SupraMax 2750i 56k v.90 modem on Windows ME, if that helps.

Also, System Monitor reports a 9600bps connection speed on the modem, even when the computer is OFFLINE. Any ideas?

My first suggestion would be to pick up another modem for 10 or 12 bucks from newegg...I was a 56k user for a LOOONG time, and I've gone through more than my fair share of modems :)

In the meantime, here's a few things off the top of my head that I would try.

Look for updated drivers from Diamonds site
Move to another PCI slot
Give it a dediacted IRQ in the BIOS (you can usually reserve them)
Check the phone cable, make sure it's not damaged

Then you might wanna see if you have a friend with another ISP. You could easily create another dialup connection to their ISP and see if you have the same problem. If so, then you'll know it's most likely your modem.

If the problem has persisted after a reinstall of WinME (Was it a fresh reinstall? i.e. format and reinstall?), then most likely the modem has given up.

Thats all I can think of right now, hope it helps some...

Back