• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios Flash,First Timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I need to flash My Abit Kt7a from ww Bios to the latest Kt7zt bios.

I have never needed to do this before can Someone give me a step by step walk through,THANKS in advance.

I hope this helps. You will need to find the bios you need and use the following as a guide.

BIOS:
This entire process usually takes about 5 minutes to perform; however I have incorporated all I can into this for the purpose of describing what to do and not to do.
I could make a list 1,2,3,4, etc, etc.. but without the details, this can be a confidence nightmare for someone new to doing it, so I have given all I can here to help.

If after reading this, you don’t want to do it... DONT

It ain't my fault if somethin goes wrong here and I feel like I have loaded a gun and handed it to a newbie, but I would rather you know how to shoot the gun properly even if you do shoot yourself in the foot.

That is my way of saying I hope this helps but please don’t blame me if something goes wrong.

A BIOS flash can be dangerous because if something goes wrong, you can take out the information from BIOS eprom chip which means the putter don’t sputter no more.

The BIOS chip holds the Basic Input Output System programming that allows the unit to start and recognize the hardware it is connected to. When you flash, you are replacing that programming with new instructions.

With an Asus A7V revision 1.02 motherboard, you will find complete instructions to flashing your BIOS on page 47 of the manual. You can read over the procedure there however I will simplify the best I can here and provide the links to the BIOS files.

First, you will need the program necessary to do the job. It is called AFLASH.exe

PART 2
You will find this program on your CD with the drivers that came with the board however; here is the link you can also download it from:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/aflash.exe (cut and paste it form here)
You will need the BIOS you wish to flash as well. They can also be found at the Abit site here: http://www.abit.com.tw/

Flashing a BIOS not designed for your board can be dangerous so don’t just jump on a bandwagon because everyone else has seemed to do it. There are some cases when this will work, but if you are not sure, don’t do it unless you are VERY confident in the source of the information and even then, be ready for anything.

You will find the most current BIOS's on the page listed in the above link.

You will need a total of 2 items to flash your BIOS:
1. A clean floppy with the AFLASH.exe program and the UNZIPPED BIOS file on it.
2. A windows emergency start disk OR The Windows ME installation floppy. Either will work.

If you do not have an emergency start disk, you can make one with a blank formatted floppy. Go to the control panel in windows and select "Add and Remove Programs". When the window appears, select the tab at the top that will allow you to make a startup disk. Simply follow the instructions.

This disk will serve to clean boot you into a DOS prompt.

Make sure you unzip the BIOS file from its download zip format.

Next, with a second formatted floppy, copy the program AFLASH.exe and the UNZIPPED BIOS file (1005c.awd) onto the floppy and keep this floppy as your BIOS floppy in future flashes.

When you copy the unzipped BIOS file to the floppy, make sure you write down the name of the file EXACTLY as it appears on the screen, including the extension. EXAMPLE: 1005c.awd OR 1005c.bin
The extension can be anything, just because it is not a ".bin" file or a ".awd" file does not mean it will not work, it can have almost any extension but most Asus BIOS files will be either .bin or .awd.

The important thing is to write it down for later.

MAKE SURE "BYTE MERGE" AND "VIRUS PROTECTION" ARE DEACTIVATED IN THE CURRENT BIOS BEFORE PRECEDING ANY FURTHER. ALSO MAKE SURE "BIOS UPDATE" IS ENABLED.

Assuming your system will recognize a floppy disk on reboot and not bypass it, you are now ready to flash your BIOS. If not, you will have to enter the BIOS and set the floppy to be the first boot device in the list.

Part 3
Once done, use these steps:
1. Put the emergency start or the Windows ME setup disk in the floppy drive.

2. Reboot the computer

3. The items on the menu list will depend on which OS you made the emergency disk from or if you are using the Windows ME setup disk. You want to be in a TOTALY clean environment so:
a. If it is from Windows98 or 98SE, select: "Command Prompt Only".
b. If it is a Windows ME setup disk, select: "Minimal Boot".

4. Once the command prompt appears, remove the start disk and replace it with your BIOS disk.

5. Type: aflash.exe Follow the instructions on the screen for each move you make and READ carefully.

6. The BIOS program will appear. It will give you 2 choices:
a. Save the current BIOS
b. Flash or install a new BIOS

7. You ALWAYS want to save your current BIOS to disk first, in case something goes wrong here. Select the save option. (1)

8. Name your saved BIOS file. I suggest it be short and easy, like 1004d.old (the name of the current BIOS with an ".old" extension.) Also, WRITE it down now EXACTLY as you typed it on the screen and confirm the spelling and extension before you save it. Once confirmed, then continue.

9. It will confirm a successful save, if not REPEAT the save until it does and if it wont save it, STOP here... there is something wrong, do not continue and simply remove the disk and reboot the computer. Leave it go until you find out what is wrong.

10. After the successful save, return to the main menu and select the second option (2) to flash the BIOS. Follow the instructions.

11. It will ask for the name of the new BIOS file. Type in the name EXACTLY as you wrote it down EXAMPLE: 1005c.awd

12. It will ask for confirmations throughout the next steps. It is VERY IMPORTANT YOU READ THE WARNINGS AND ANYTHING ELSE IT DISPLAYS... READ IT CAREFULLY

13. There will be warnings if the BIOS is older than the one you are currently running and if you are flashing down to an older BIOS, this is ok.

14. There may be other warnings if the file you have is corrupt or if it is not designed for your motherboard... If you decide to stop anytime before you have flashed, you can...ONLY AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NOT FLASHED THE BIOS.

AFTER YOU HAVE FLASHED, IF A WARNING COMES UP SAYING A CORRUPT FILE ERROR, CHECKSUM ERROR OR THE FLASH WAS "UNSUCCESSFULL" OR ANY MESSAGE OTHER THAN:

"FLASHED SUCCESSFULLY"

IF ANY AND I MEAN ANY ERROR MESSAGE APPEARS, DO NOT.. REPEAT; DO NOT SHUT DOWN FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER OR YOU MAY END UP COMPLETLY DEAD.

*** WHAT TO DO ***
If you receive and error message, return to the main menu of the flash program and proceed with option (2) again, this time flash the BIOS you previously saved by typing in the name you wrote down for your old BIOS exactly as you saved it earlier

example from earlier: 1004d.old

Follow the instructions again. If this is unsuccessful you have 3 options:

a. Continue trying to flash several times, either BIOS file, over and over until successful. I have heard of people doing it as many as 20 times before. (in very RARE cases)

b. If it just wont flash and you have tried over and over, DO NOT shut down and have a tech or service come in to continue the process, EVEN if it means leaving the system on for days exactly where it is.

c. Shut down and cross your fingers it reboots, if not, remove the AC power plug and try shorting the points on the motherboard with a clean flat blade screwdriver (2 small solder dots, next to the battery as shown on page 14 of the manual, look for: CLRTC )
This will clear the CMOS, then reboot. If it doesn’t start, try again but your BIOS chip may probably wiped and you will need to order

I jusdt flashed last month it sound alot more scary than it really is, well if it goes right........................i just followed the user manual .....good luck

I flashed it did not correct my problem,However the system is more stable than ever I am at 150 fsb and she is loving it.

The 3c bios flash was easy as hell,Download file to floppy extract it boot to the a prompt from a start up disk switch diskest and type runme.bat and bang it runs itself !!!!!! So thanks for the great responses !!!!

Back