• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer PSU for In Car Use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

A friend of mine is trying to build a small computer for in his car. This will be a permanent peice of his car, we have came to a stumbling block, what to use as a PSU. He could use a plain home PC PSU and then use an inverter but that sounds really dumb. Does anyone else have any suggestions. The car puts out 12v but it is not clean nore statble, can go has high as 14.5 or as low as 10v. I though of using a 2nd battery in line of the cars charging system but still not sure if that will work.

He wants to set this up with a 12" LCD moniter, wireless keyboard and DVD Drive. Add in a 200gb hard drive for MP3's and a wireless network card all he would have to do is drive into his garage and link up to his home network and upload download everything he wants for movies, video's music you name it.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to power this bad boy.

Yeah I would use the inverter and a standard psu...the inverter will act as another unit to clean up the power...

Back