• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shaking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sn0rKy

is it bad to move your computer whiles your hard drive is running?
cause itll scratch up the hard drive or something?

I remember hearing that older drives use to need to be 'lcoked' or something before being moved so that the pin would not destroy the board. However, I have never heard of this lately. But you can never be too careful. After losing one of my HDs yesterday I will be very very careful with them in the future!

It is .. I got bad sectors on my previous maxtor .. didn't know why until I realized that it happened after I put my case on the table .. it was under the table .. so whenever I typed, there were always little movements on the table .. eventually, the bad sectors occured ..

since then, I put my case back on the floor .. no touchie2x, no movements, and the RMA-ed drive never gets a single bad sector :D .. happily ever after.

Yes, it is bad, especially with Windows XP and how it constantly checks the driver. If you move it then, it could cause the needle to drag along the disk.

i would say that if you are careful with your computer (like you probably should be) you would be fine. if you just slowly move or turn your computer to do something, it shouldn't really cause that much of a problem at all. now maybe if you are dropping your computer, it will most likely do some damage... the read head "floats" on a tiny cushion of air that is produced when the drive is spun up at high speeds. this air cushion is pretty strong since drives are spinning @ 5400 and 7200 rpms. i would say that it's more of the up/down shock you want to avoid. side to side motion (if your drives are mounted horizontally) should be relatively safe...

Guys, computers aren't as fragile as you're making them sound.

Bad sectors can form from a number og different situations, straight from Western Digital's website on drive information for the 80gig BB, "Operating Shock (Read): 65G, 2ms " Which basically means unless you pickup the HD while it's spining and whack it with a piece of 2x4, it's not gonna mess things up.

Yeah sure, I cringe a little when I move one of my machines and I knock it a little, but it sure as hell won't wreck your drive.

amen brother, i used to think that if you touch any computer component with your bare hands they instantly get fried. Well i touch my computer parts from time to time while its on and yet to have any problems, heck, even coke has been spilt and they still work!!! lol

cpus can take some pounding too, ive heard dudes that accidentaly let the cpu fall from 1.5m hich and it works okay, or just trying to unlock an athlonxp means to apply some pressure to the pins. As long as you arent that rude it will be okay.

PhobMX said:
cpus can take some pounding too, ive heard dudes that accidentaly let the cpu fall from 1.5m hich and it works okay

I pried my 200MHz pentuim with MMX with a screwdriver off a huge heatsink. It wouldn't fit it any of my systems though. It flew across the room. It still works though.

Back