• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just tried new ABIT KT7 series 3r BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

This release can be found on Abit's ftp site. Release date is 7/5/01. I noticed a much quicker boot up, but a side effect is higher temps. Register 52 contains a 6C as the beta version did. My board would not allow a change to EB so I changed it to EC as my WW BIOS came with that setting and ran cool at idle. EC worked and allowed my temps to drop back to a reasonable idle level, BUT the sound screws up with this change. I'm not sure what causes it but my sound gets all funky with an EC in version 3r BIOS.

Other than the quicker boot I noticed a provision for "1200 and Above" in softmenu III. Nothing else looked much different. Due to the sound and temp issues I flashed back to WW. I still think WW is the best BIOS to date for my system.

Just my findings.

For those that want to try this new version to see if they gain any performance it can be found here ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/bios/kt7/

Thanks for the tip! I am probably buying this mobo in a couple of days. I was also wondering, what is the voltage mod for this mobo?

Craps, I was going to flash to 3r... Thanks for the info, AMDGuy!
The best bios for I've used so far is ZT, with a newer HPT bios & few enabled options.
Now I'm back to WW, as my previous bios-chip didn't like to work.
Looks like I'll have to wait for another release.

Overdoing_it, I think your chances of getting a board with the WW are quite slim as the revision 1.0 of the mobo isn't sold anymore. It ships with YH nowadays and the PCB is different color. I've no idea if there's anything else changed.
For those voltage-mods, you can find them at TweakHardware.com. Be advised that you need better than air cooling when pumping the voltage over 2.0v.

Back